Question Crash to black screen when playing over 60 fps

Jun 7, 2019
Hi

For the last two weeks my pc has been crashing to black screen when gaming any game. The screen goes black, the sound loops and pc is still on. I need to hit the reboot button to start again. Works fine browsing.

Specs:
Windows 10
R9 390
B85-pro mobo
Corsair cx 750w
Intel xeon e3 1231 processor

It happens when I set my monitor refresh rate to 144 hz and amd settings to 144.
When I set monitor to 60 fps and likewise amd settings, I can game with no crashes.
I've deinstalled and reinstalled drivers with DDU in safe mode, but nothing. Tried other driver version and again, nothing.
Even if I use my monitors HDMI port instead of the dp port, it crashes if my amd settings are over 60 fps. It works over HDMI and DP if amd settings are 60 fps.

Furmark and occt tests work out fine with no errors or crashes.

What I gotta do?

Is it the psu?
Is it the gpu?
Do I need to take apart the gpu and thermal paste it?
Whaaaaaat????

Please help

Ralston18

Titan
RAM, drives, peripherals?

Windows 10:

Start by looking in Reliability History/Manager and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, or even informational events.

Just try each one first to learn your way around the tool and understand the data that is or can be presented.

Either Reliability History or Event Viewer may be capturing some problem just before or at the time of the crashes. Reliability History is much less cumbersome.

Especially so if there are no crashes at 60 fps and crashes at 144 fps.

Plus Task Manager and Performance Monitor may help as well. Run one of the other and observe what the computer is doing in various configurations.

E.g.; 60 with gaming and no gaming then 144 with gaming and no gaming.

Leave the observed window open but drag to one side or the other while you test. Watch for a bottleneck.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.