Question Crash, Weird Screen, Won't Start

Jun 5, 2020
I was playing a game on a 2 year old PC (i7 8700k, GTX 2080, Windows 10, windows installed on a SSD, game running from internal HDD) when there was a strange error message that I didn't have time to read (game seemed minimized, the background was white, the error message was in a little popup box mid-screen.) The screen then went black and unresponsive to Ctrl-Alt-Del. After a minute, I did a hard reboot.

I turned the machine back on and logged in to Windows. I saw my normal desktop for a second... then it turned into the MESS you see in the attached image.
img_3667-jpg.6524

Subsequent hard reboots follow the pattern:
(1) After the "GIGABYTE" screen, the screen remains black forever. Hard reboot -->
(2) GIGABYTE screen: "Diagnosing your PC" --> Blue windows screen "Automatic Repair" "Your PC did not start correctly" Hit Restart. Back to (1).

I have no idea what the best course of action is next to diagnose or fix the issue, any and all help very much appreciated, thank you.

This looks like GPU overheating/faulty/having issues.

Boot into safe mode, disable any GPU overclocking, and see if it boots okay. If not go back into safe mode and see if you can fully uninstall your current GPU drivers (Windows will install generic ones on reboot).

Jun 5, 2020
I did uninstall the GPU Drivers in safe mode, and then was able to log into windows... but about 2 seconds later, my oddly-proportioned desktop once again cut to black.