Crashes while playing SC2

ozziegt

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
My computer is crashing when playing SC2. The problem has only shown up since I got my new video card, but I am not sure if the video card is the culprit or not. I used to get BSOD but recently it's just been SC2 crashes while the rest of the system stays up. I think I accidentally dislodged the North Bridge heatsink while installing the video card, and I re-affixed that...that is when the BSODs stopped.

It only happens after a while so I think it might be heat related, but I have tried stress testing the system and it doesn't crash. I don't really know what is going...was hoping someone could help me figure it out.

Graphics: Sapphire HD5670 1GB
Processor: AMD Athlon X2 245
Motherboard: ASUS M4A785-M 785G
RAM: 4 GB
Case: Lian Li PC-V351B

Please help, this is driving me nuts. I've tried stress testing with Furmark & Prime95, but it won't crash when I do that. It only crashes during SC2. I was running the integrated graphics before, without any problems.

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
it could actually be software. since your bsod problem got fixed its likely not your northbridge. but could still be. make sure the norhbridge is passing heat to the heatsink. i assume it has thermal paste/tape on it. but you would know more. its imperitive that it does have one or the other. thermal tape sux though. its a kinda one time use item.
make sure none of your heatsinks are clogged up with dust of coarse and check if any of your heatsinks are so hot they burn you. if they are that's likely the problem and you need more cooling for that device.

oh back to software. when you got your new video card if you didnt remove the previous drivers it could cause a problem, could be a problem even if you did remove it. a program called driver cleaner will fully remove the driver. then install the latest after that.
thats all i can think of right now, hope it fixes you right up.

ozziegt

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Drivers are all up to date. It happened again today. I was getting some stuttering of audio during gameplay and I was terrified it was going to crash. Lo and behold, once the game was over it crashed out to Windows.

Video card temps are maxing out at 59 C.

I'm really starting to think it's the MB...I hate shelling out money for a new one without knowing for sure.