Question Crashes with OC'ed (stable) GPU

Aug 25, 2020
Hello!

Recenlty I got problems with OC'ed GPU in games.
My specs:
EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
i5 6600K OC 4,5Ghz
16Gb RAM
MSI Z170 Gaming M5
Driver - 452.06

Last month I had to reinstall my OS, Windows 10 x64 Home edition. Before that - everything was smooth and fine, I had OC preset of GPU via MSI Afterburner, OC specs were - core +150Mhz, Power - 112%, Temp allowed - 88C.
With this OC I didnt even had to up the voltage. Used OC preset in games like RDR2, Witcher 3, etc., and everything went ok, I've seen fps boost with OC'ed GPU.

After reinstalling OS - didn't play those games and didnt do OC on my GPU. Recenlty wanted to replay RDR2 and decided to make the same preset as before in my MSI Afterburner. But now - everytime I launch any game with any OC preset (even 20-50Mhz core+) - after loading into game and starting gameplay - game crashes with some errors related to GPU.
RDR2 - after loading had lots of artifacts and in 1-2 seconds crash with ERR_GFX_STATE error;
Launched World of Warcraft with the same preset - it crashed immediately after loading with "Error 3D-accelerator";

This issue accures in both 452,06 and 451,67 drivers.
Also it accures with both win 10 feature HAGS on or off.

Anybody had the same issue? Can somebody relate it to something? Any help with fixing the issue?

Thank you in Advance!!! :)

Aug 25, 2020
The artifacts, errors and crashing sound like a failing GPU.
But without OC at all - nothing wrong with GPU at all, it works perfectly fine, no artifacts, no freezes, no errors, FPS without stuttering, etc. but if you give it at least 50Mhz boost on core - it statrs crashing. Before OS reinstallation - never had anything like that even close...

My 1070 works on 1976Mhz without additional manual OC'ing, when its cold (im from Russia :D) - it gets even higher Mhz.

GPU didnt overheat more than 70-72C, maybe at some point got to 76 once in Furmark before getting nice fan pattern, but it was like year or more ago..

How to check if its dying or not?

Didn't try even earlier drivers, gonna try today after work, but dying GPU - dont scare my plz :'(

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
But without OC at all - nothing wrong with GPU at all, it works perfectly fine, no artifacts, no freezes, no errors, FPS without stuttering, etc. but if you give it at least 50Mhz boost on core - it statrs crashing. Before OS reinstallation - never had anything like that even close...

My 1070 works on 1976Mhz without additional manual OC'ing, when its cold (im from Russia :D) - it gets even higher Mhz.

GPU didnt overheat more than 70-72C, maybe at some point got to 76 once in Furmark before getting nice fan pattern, but it was like year or more ago..

Didn't try even earlier drivers, gonna try today after work, but dying GPU - dont scare my plz :'(
Stop overclocking your video card.

It's very possible the original OC has degraded the GPU and now it's unstable at anything other than stock settings.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Aug 25, 2020
Well,

With HAGS on, after DDU and OC preset +100-120Mhz (power 112%, temp 88C) works fine and no artifacts, stuttering, etc., FPS gained. +130 mhz - artifacts start to popup, 140+mhz lots of artifacts.
Even if i try to change voltage via afterburner (+2-5%) voltage doesn't change at all, 1.062v at max, as well as at default evga OC.

Now stable preset - +100mhz, gpu works fine and stable on 2088 mhz (base evga OC - something around 1978Mhz). Temp doesn't go over 70°C (66-68 stable). Could do +120Mhz but dont want to reduce resource of gpu faster.

Dont know why, but I guess before OS reinstall - even with +150 mhz, as i remember, gpu didnt go over 2050mhz, and automatically dropped 50mhz after getting somewhat hot (around 70-72C).