Question Crashing and won’t reboot

Jul 21, 2019
Hey guys, I need some help! I’ll try and be as detailed as possible and list everything I’ve tried.

Windows 10 Pro (build 1903 and 1709)
Intel i5-2600 quad core 3.1ghz
GTX 760 superclocked
250gb Samsung SSD
16gb ddr3 ram
600 watt Corsair psu

For the past week, WoW has been freezing up on me during random things. Usually required me to close it out via task manager and restart it. One time, my monitor turned off and it required a full restart to work again. This was on Windows 10 build 1903.

Starting yesterday afternoon, my computer just crashed completely and on the windows logo with the swirling dots, it froze and failed to reboot. This was also on build 1903. I couldn’t get the computer to boot at all, even into safe mode. I ended up reformatting and it worked for a few minutes and my screen went black(backlight still on). When it came back on after a forced restart, my screen had artifacts all over it. I checked device manager and my graphics driver had basically failed. I did a few reformats, system restores, etc trying to get it to work but my computer wouldn’t stay on for more than a few minutes..it would just continue to restart and freeze on boot.

So I decided to downgrade to build 1709 I believe. Doing that, it actually stayed on for a few hours with no issues after installed an older version of my graphics card driver. Eventually, in WoW, it crashed again and tried to reboot but was unsuccessful.

I was able to get it into safe mode and ran DDU to remove anything that had to do with Nvidia. I’ve tried the last 2 versions of the driver as well as one back from February and I’m still getting crashes and black screens.

Right now, I’m attempting another reformat and while it says “preparing”, it’s just doing a reboot loop. It appeared to have stayed on longer without an Nvidia driver installed.

So in all, I’ve:
Rolled back my windows version
Ran system restore
Reformatted by keeping files and completely wiping all files
Ran DDU and tried different versions of my gfx driver with the same outcome..just different amounts of time to reach it.

I’m at a loss now. I don’t know what else to try..

M.AGamer

Reputable
Feb 19, 2019
Hey guys, I need some help! I’ll try and be as detailed as possible and list everything I’ve tried.

Windows 10 Pro (build 1903 and 1709)
Intel i5-2600 quad core 3.1ghz
GTX 760 superclocked
250gb Samsung SSD
16gb ddr3 ram
600 watt Corsair psu

For the past week, WoW has been freezing up on me during random things. Usually required me to close it out via task manager and restart it. One time, my monitor turned off and it required a full restart to work again. This was on Windows 10 build 1903.

Starting yesterday afternoon, my computer just crashed completely and on the windows logo with the swirling dots, it froze and failed to reboot. This was also on build 1903. I couldn’t get the computer to boot at all, even into safe mode. I ended up reformatting and it worked for a few minutes and my screen went black(backlight still on). When it came back on after a forced restart, my screen had artifacts all over it. I checked device manager and my graphics driver had basically failed. I did a few reformats, system restores, etc trying to get it to work but my computer wouldn’t stay on for more than a few minutes..it would just continue to restart and freeze on boot.

So I decided to downgrade to build 1709 I believe. Doing that, it actually stayed on for a few hours with no issues after installed an older version of my graphics card driver. Eventually, in WoW, it crashed again and tried to reboot but was unsuccessful.

I was able to get it into safe mode and ran DDU to remove anything that had to do with Nvidia. I’ve tried the last 2 versions of the driver as well as one back from February and I’m still getting crashes and black screens.

Right now, I’m attempting another reformat and while it says “preparing”, it’s just doing a reboot loop. It appeared to have stayed on longer without an Nvidia driver installed.

So in all, I’ve:
Rolled back my windows version
Ran system restore
Reformatted by keeping files and completely wiping all files
Ran DDU and tried different versions of my gfx driver with the same outcome..just different amounts of time to reach it.

I’m at a loss now. I don’t know what else to try..
How old is your gpu and which corsair model psu you use?

Jul 21, 2019
Between 4-6 years old

After the most recent reformat, it’s in a loop on booting up and there’s artifacts on screen with an error about restarting unexpectedly. Weird thing to me is reinstalling a driver fixed the artifacts until it crashed again

Drop down to one stick of RAM in required slot (per your mainboard's guidance/manual), testing each alternately for stability....

Or, on a computer that functions, make a Memtest 86+ bootable USB image....; boot from it, loop it on tests a few hours...

You c ould also remove your GPU entirely, switching over to integrated video, this would rule out it being a bad/dying GPU, and, might free up 130-150 watts in the case of a weakening PSU...

Jul 21, 2019
Well, it crashes repeatedly during the preparing part of reformat and now I can’t finish the install. I get the error “The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows can not proceed. To install Windows, click “OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.” It’s on a loop now. I’m assuming I’ve done all I can do until I can get a copy of Windows to restore?

Jul 21, 2019
Alright so here’s an update. I finally got my system up and running and I removed my graphics card (EVGA 760 superclocked). How do I determine if the issue was a dying card or psu or if it was build 1903 and Nvidia driver?