Question Crashing at native resolution(1440p)

Bamz68

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Hi, This is my first time posting here, so I have no idea if my post should even be here in this section. I have been having this problem that when using my native resolution (2560 x 1440) when playing games, I just crash to desktop with no error. The games work on 1920x1080 and does not crash. I tried searching google but found only the opposite of my problem. I have been playing on 1080p for awhile now. The games that crash on native res are: Black Desert Online, Watch dogs Legion, Star wars Jedi fallen order, Anno 1800, Red dead redemption 2 just to name a few. And sometimes, I need to limit some of the games' fps to 60 or it still crashes. But some games work fine on native res and no fps limit. I have done some troubleshooting to check for any hardware damage but so far, I have not encountered a problem. If anyone has any idea, it would be greatly appreciated.

CPU: i7-9700k
GPU: RTX 2080ti
Motherboard: Z390 AORUS MASTER
Monitor: Samsung C32JG5x native mode: 2560 x 1440(p) (143.998Hz)
RAM: 32GB

When playing at 1440p without FPS cap, is your refresh set to actual 144, or a fractional value near it?

Also, please list full spec, including PSU, and even OS and build version of it.

Also mention any 3rd party software you might be running, especially as a startup or manually running in the background.

Last edited:

Bamz68

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
hi, sorry for the late reply. I've tried monitoring the temps with CPUID HWMonitor open on a second display (TV) and I ran cinebench r20 and CPU temps sit between 68c-74c. I've tried using the heaven benchmark for stress testing the gpu and it crashed, I've tried doing this multiple times and every time, heaven benchmark crashed. GPU temps at 66-68c, vram usage from task manager was 1.8gb/11gb and power was at 12v or something in HWmonitor. Also, when I use the 2nd display, it just suddenly cuts off, and the 2nd display (TV) says HDMI1 no source or something like that. and when I went to check display settings, the TV was not detected unless I had to press detect button.

Specs:
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 19043) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: Z390 AORUS MASTER
BIOS: F8 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32700MB RAM
Page File: 12026MB used, 25536MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, no HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: 1.0.8
DxDiag Version: 10.00.19041.0928 64bit Unicode

PSU: Corsair RM1000i

3rd party softwares on startup: Razer synapse, corsair iCue, MSI dragon center, Logitech LGhub, Gskill Tridentz Lighting control, and Riot games vanguard.

It could be the Corsair iCue software is conflicting with the GSkill Lighting control software. iCue has been widely known to not play well with other software that controls lighting and such.

Try disabling one or the other and you very well may solve the problem. You could always re-enable it when not gaming just to show off the look of the PC when friends come over.

Last edited:

Bamz68

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
@Frag Maniac I'll do that and let you know the results. Thanks for the input.

Edit: I did as you suggested and it still crashed on heaven benchmark. I did a clean boot too and ran heaven benchmark but still crashed. Is my GPU dying? or overheating? when heaven benchmark crashes, temps are around 66-69c. Bought this rig in 2019. It's barely 2 years old.

Update: So I ran heaven benchmark at 1440p and 1080p gradually reducing the settings but still crashed, sometimes screen goes black and resumes the benchmark, other times it goes black then crashes to desktop or freezes for a couple of seconds then crashes to desktop. Then I also tried furmark, with the preset settings and the 1440p (QHD?) settings which didn't crash. I'll be doing some other troubleshooting just to rule out any software issues before going into hardware. I'll update the post when I'm done.

Last edited:

Bamz68

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Update: I got 3 windows notification saying "Application Heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"
Is GPU the problem maybe?

Edit: So, I may have temporarily solved this problem. I underclocked my GPU by roughly 100MHz, both core and memory clock through afterburner and I got the heaven benchmark to complete multiple times, and I tried playing star wars jedi fallen order on max settings, native resolution, uncapped fps and I got to play around an hour of it without any stutter, lag or crash. Temps sit at 66-69c and fps dips to mid 70's but that's it. No more crash, could play at native res again. So I'll be trying other games and get back to this thread.

Last edited:

Bamz68

Prominent
Aug 15, 2019
Hi guys, so just an update. It seems underclocking gpu by 100Mhz solved the crashes. I don't know if my gpu is failing but underclocking seems to do the trick and I've been playing for 5 days now without crashes and on my native resolution (1440p). Hopefully the crashes would permanently stop. Thanks for the responses I got.

Nov 8, 2021
Update: I got 3 windows notification saying "Application Heaven.exe has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware"
Is GPU the problem maybe?

Edit: So, I may have temporarily solved this problem. I underclocked my GPU by roughly 100MHz, both core and memory clock through afterburner and I got the heaven benchmark to complete multiple times, and I tried playing star wars jedi fallen order on max settings, native resolution, uncapped fps and I got to play around an hour of it without any stutter, lag or crash. Temps sit at 66-69c and fps dips to mid 70's but that's it. No more crash, could play at native res again. So I'll be trying other games and get back to this thread.
Thanks bro! I had the same exact problem you had for like 6 months. I did what you did and it fixed my game crashing all the time. I thought i needed a new gpu. I have a 1080 ti. I created a account just to thanked you!