[SOLVED] Crashing during games (not overheating) AIDA Hardware Fail

josh8587

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
My system has been intermittently crashing during games with demanding graphics. It usually seems to happen after playing for over an hour or so. By crashing, I mean sometimes throwing a driver error and freezing or BSODing.

I assumed overheating, but have monitored my CPU and GPU temperatures and they seem normal.

Just recently I have run AIDA64's System Stability Test and found that my system fails in usually under two minutes when "Stress System Memory" is selected. If I don't select this option, the system test runs fine. I have tried removing and testing one stick of RAM at a time in AIDA64 (only selecting "Stress System Memory") and the test runs normally. I put both sticks back in and ran the same test and it failed. I have run the built-in memory checker in Windows with clear results.

Any ideas?

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4771 @ 3.50GHz 48 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. MAXIMUS VI HERO (SOCKET 1150) 28 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
Standard Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (EVGA) 49 °C
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series (SATA (SSD)) 28 °C
465GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 25 °C
931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00MK2A0 (SATA ) 27 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI DVD A DH16AASH
Audio
NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WDM)

Solution
Stressing system memory also stresses the memory controller (on the CPU). When you have both sticks in, your system is running in dual channel mode causing more of a strain.

If your load temps are okay you could try increasing the memory controller and/or memory voltage by a small margin.
Stressing system memory also stresses the memory controller (on the CPU). When you have both sticks in, your system is running in dual channel mode causing more of a strain.

If your load temps are okay you could try increasing the memory controller and/or memory voltage by a small margin.

Solution

josh8587

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

I've removed one stick of RAM and the computer seems stable for now. Thanks for your help!