Question Crashing/Failure to launch for internet-specific Programs

JokeT

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
Yesterday I suddenly had an issue while using my PC. - Most of my programs that made use of the internet suddenly stopped responding and I got "Access Denied" if I tried to end the tasks.

Now, I've been trying to test various programs but the main thing I've noticed is it's programs that are heavily reliant on being online that just crash or don't launch. I can access settings, but Windows Update leads to the settings menu crashing/freezing and leaves it innaccessible until I reboot. I get an error in Event Viewer saying that whatever software that messes up has "stopped interacting with Windows." However, when I go into safe mode with networking, everything works fine. The most recent thing I did was install the latest Windows update. Another thing I did was disable IPv6 on my ethernet adapter, but I've reverted that change.

Programs that crash/ won't launch:
Discord
Spotify
Firefox & Vivaldi (web browser)
Steam & Battle.net
Thunderbird
NVidia Geforce Experience
Corsair iCue

Programs that work fine:
Photoshop
MSI Afterburner
Foobar music player
Xbox App (can connect to online too)
Microsoft Edge (can connect to internet)

Error when going to Windows Update:
The program SystemSettings.exe version 10.0.18362.449 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
Process ID: 3cec
Start Time: 01d5fb170405b3fc
Termination Time: 4294967295
Application Path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
Report Id: c8ea6f3d-98b5-4c27-a2ff-b9a8bd2a775c
Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.2.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel
Hang type: Cross-process

Things I've tried:
sfc /scannow (found and corrected corrupted files in safe mode, freezes at 100% verification in normal mode).
chkdsk (no errors)
resetting adapter settings
doing system restore to a week ago
uninstalling most recent windows update

Last edited:

JokeT

Reputable
Feb 20, 2016
malware scan?
Currently in the process of that. Will report back soon.

Edit: Did a scan and there was no malware. MalwareBytes wouldn't even open because it can't connect to the server, but I used Kapersky. It seems like this issue is affecting apps that rely on online connectivity to even launch.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS