Question Crashing issue with RTX 3080

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2021
I'm having issues with my MSi RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio card. Periodically while gaming, either the game will crash or computer will hard crash. I swapped to my old EVGA 1080ti card and had no issues at all with crashing, but swapping to the 3080 leads to crashes after 15-30 minutes of play (doesn't seem to have any real rhyme or reason). Not all games seem to cause it, with lower impact games like WoW Classic or SC2 being fine, but it seems to have issues with games running DX 11 or 12. Can't tell if the issue applies to vulcan as well, since the only game I have with vulcan is unstable at the best of times.

I brought it in for the store I bought it from to look for it and they ran continual benchmarks on it and it was stable for them, but the fact that the crashing while using the 3080 and not 1080ti leads me to believe that it is the issue.
Also I tried running mining on it to see if that caused problems as well, and the card can mine just fine. As it stands, this card will end up being exclusively for mining unless I can figure out what is causing my issue. I've tried running monitor stuff on it, and the hottest I've managed to get it is 70c, so it isn't a thermals issue. I've tried undervolting it, overvolting it, capping the core clocks down cause I heard that helped stability with 3080s. I've also tried uninstalling and re-installing the driver for it. At this point I have officially tried every solution I can think of beyond literally buying an entire new computer to test it to see if it has some issue with other parts).

Setup is an Intel i7 9700K CPU @3.6GHz overclocked a little, 32 gigs of 3200MHz corsair vengeance memory (2x16) on XMP, main system on a 250g SSD, a 2tb heavy duty SSD for gaming (neither are M.2), a 2tb hybrid for general storage, and a 1000 watt EVGA 1000 GQ gold-rated PSU. Mobo is an MSi MPG z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC. System is air-cooled, but nothing runs that hot (probably because im not super pushing over-clocking). I run a dual-monitor setup (an aorus curved 2560x1440p 27 inch monitor that can do up to 165hz, and a samsung 4k 27 incher that does 60fps). I've tried having all 3 display port slots with 1 monitor at a time just in case it was the dual-monitor or a specific slot causing issues, but nothing.

Any help would be massively appreciated, let me know if there is any info I missed that could help.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1st thing that's going to have to be put into question in the psu.
Unknown to most owners/looking to be owners of RTX 30 cards is that these cards have lousy power efficiency.
These cards can whip the butts of some 'gold rated' units. Probably safer to just go with Platinum/Titanium.

Since there isn't a review of this particular unit available, which would show what the transient response is like, there aren't many ways around this other than testing with psus known to work with RTX 30 cards, such as Corsair's RMX - not the non-X, that's already been shown in few threads here to be a flop with 3080s.
Or perhaps you want to RMA the gpu.
Psu, or gpu... your choice.

Also I tried running mining on it to see if that caused problems as well, and the card can mine just fine.
I have to question that too, since you didn't post gpu Vram thermals while mining. Ideally, that should be kept below 95C if you want to keep the card for a few years.
FYI, hwinfo can monitor Vram thermals.

May 10, 2021
While running easyminer, I maxed out the fan and got the Vram down to about 95c when mining. I then had it run for about 24 hours, with it being perfectly stable this entire time.

Does the PSU seem like the potential problem? Games are crashing to desktop mostly (and exclusively games that run DX11 or 12 so far. Everything is perfectly stable). Roughly 1/4th to 1/5th of crashes are hard computer crashes (no BSOD, just strait it stops working entirely).

SkyWalker1726

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
what kind of mosfet does your card have ?
you can check by looking at the back of your card
if your card does look like the middle picture , running into problems with games is a known issue , try warranty or rma.
undervolting and underclocking has also been know as a problem solver if none of the above options are available .to you ( msi afterburner )
but if your card look like the picture at the right, then u must be good and the mosfet must not be the problem .

NVIDIA-Bottom-POSCAP-vs-MLCC-IgorsLAB-1200x351.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
While running easyminer, I maxed out the fan and got the Vram down to about 95c when mining. I then had it run for about 24 hours, with it being perfectly stable this entire time.
I wasn't questioning crashing while mining, just wondering how hot it was getting.
Even running the fans at 100%, you can't get the Vram below 95C... bummer.

Doh! Completely missed this:
I brought it in for the store I bought it from to look for it and they ran continual benchmarks on it and it was stable for them...
Did they use your psu or not?

Does the PSU seem like the potential problem?
That or the gpu itself. If the store didn't test with your psu, that should be a clue.

Games are crashing to desktop mostly. Roughly 1/4th to 1/5th of crashes are hard computer crashes (no BSOD, just strait it stops working entirely).
You clean installed drivers using either Display Driver Uninstaller, or Geforce Experience?
The freezing can be power supply.

May 10, 2021
I strait up didn't have geforce experience installed (I've been told it causes issues), so had to use the first option. And they tested it on their own rig. I have a second computer I'm assembling with a different psu/mobo/cpu, and plan to test it when all the parts arrive.

As for the mosfet, i have 5 of the blocks and 1 set of 8 smaller capacitors.

May 10, 2021
Don't know, it is an old one I had lying around. It is EVGA and was good enough to handle 2 overclocked 780ti's, so I have to assume it is beefy enough to satisfy a 3080.

May 10, 2021
EVGA Supernova G2 Gold 850w.
https://www.evga.com/products/specs/psu.aspx?pn=2aa9e0d7-548f-44c8-8eb4-867cd74892cf

And here's a review I found for it for reference.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Status
Not open for further replies.