[SOLVED] Crashing - Minidumps and Computer Specs included

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Hello,

My system has been crashing causing the occasional BSOD. This usually happens on startup. I did make a previous post about this and I mistakenly thought the problem had been solved.

I have 2 Minidump files that I have uploaded here: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/5caaurusk3yslbq,8ivkizx8z8r9987/shared

The relevant system specs here:
CPU: Ryzen 1700
Motherboard: Asus Prime B350-plus
RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GFX
Power Supply: Silverstone Strider ST60F-TI 600W

Any help?

More information:

WhoCrashed Report:
On Thu 8/10/2020 5:42:20 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\100820-8562-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F3EA0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0x10E, 0xA, 0xF559, 0x3987)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might also be caused because of overheating (thermal issue).
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

Solution
I'd like to report that the problem is fixed as far as I can tell.
I've done extensive testing to confirm this.
The computer hasn't crashed since November the 24th. (8 days)
Today just to make sure the problem was fixed, I restarted my computer 30 times in various ways. I reset, shutdown, and turned the switch off at the wall.
And I done some other tests as well and it booted 100% of the time.
(I suppose it's reasonable to question whether or not the problem has been fixed but, previous to this I was crashing 1-5 times a day, I think from that I can be very confident the problem has been fixed.)

As it turned out the Blizzard tech guy had the answer: clean boot.
He seemed very confident that he had the answer when he said: Never fear...

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/rz8wa9xj/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:102720-9593-01.dmp (Oct 26 2020 - 16:11:01)
Bugcheck:INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR (A0)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: ?)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 55 Min(s), and 21 Sec(s)

File information:100820-8562-01.dmp (Oct 7 2020 - 15:12:20)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 21 Hour(s), 07 Min(s), and 56 Sec(s)
BIOS info wasn't included in the dump files. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its an old driver that doesn't like Fast Startup

this is on both errors - SYMBOL_NAME: nt!PopHiberChecksumHiberFileData+10266
hiberfile is the file used by hibernate and/or fast startup to store the drivers that are running at shutdown. Since its happening at startup I can guess which of those it is.

one work around is turn off fast startup - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

so you don't have any drivers that are really old.
Razer synapse could do with an update

What WIfi card have you got?

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
Last edited:

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020

Colif

Win 11 Master
I believe the system, Asus are known to re release old drivers with just a new launcher. It might not even be the cause. Wonder what version the driver is. Next thing might show me.

can you run this, it makes a Zip file. I know you not getting bsod but it might show me something - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/

Fast start-up in bios just reduces the number of checks the bios does before handing control to windows.
Fast start-up in windows 10 is a different beast. With fast start-up on, the PC isn't actually off when you shut it down. its in a hibernate mode. WIn 10 at shutdown saves a copy of all loaded drivers + windows registry/kernel into either ram or a file on C drive, so that when you "start" the pc again its actually got most of the information already loaded, and it can boot in a much shorter time. This is great for people with hdd but if you have ssd or better, it doesn't make any difference (they fast enough already).
The one in win 10 can trip up old drivers not written for win 10. And if you unplug PC a lot it is probably ideal to have it turned off as I have seen it corrupt boot files before. I always have it off.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
can you run this, it makes a Zip file. I know you not getting bsod but it might show me something - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/pages/bsodcollectionapp/
Here is the zip it created: http://www.mediafire.com/file/2ztpu29evqkikow/SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip/file

And btw yes, I believe you are correct about your speculation with the Asus drivers, they have re-released old drivers with a new launchers in this case.

Also, I'll be online for some hours to come. I'll be able to respond and follow your instructions fast, if you are also here.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try running this
right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth
and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

Yeah. I was right. Driver version 1.558.48.0. ( 9th Mar 2016). I really wish Asus wouldn't do that.

If only it was earlier in the year. Broadcom drivers used to be made by Killer internet but they got taken over by Intel mid year and now only support the Intel hardware. I was not amused by that.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/8va20tge/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:110120-8859-01.dmp (Oct 31 2020 - 13:29:47)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 8 Hour(s), 40 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
all 3 BSOD are the same thing. shame its not telling me a driver name... shakes fist at sky. I actually saw some bsod with file names in them today, amazing. Shame they so few.

so we know Wi-Fi card uses broadcom drivers. But they don't make their own which makes it hard
according to this wiki the chipset is Broadcom BCM4366
http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/ASUS_PCE-AC88

seems the solution people on reddit reached was use a different card - link - its actually a theme of the year, Wi-Fi cards just stop working cause many of them are based on ancient chips that haven't been updated in years. I would suggest buying one that supports 802.11ax even if your router doesn't as its not going to be an old chip in a new shell.

can you use ethernet instead? try removing card and see if it is really the problem.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
seems the solution people on reddit reached was use a different card - link - its actually a theme of the year, Wi-Fi cards just stop working cause many of them are based on ancient chips that haven't been updated in years. I would suggest buying one that supports 802.11ax even if your router doesn't as its not going to be an old chip in a new shell.

can you use ethernet instead? try removing card and see if it is really the problem.

Well, that's a surprise that the Wi-Fi card is (or could be) the problem.
It's probably the best upgrade I've made to my PC, I would really hate to get rid of it or disable it, in any way.
But, if you want I can take the wifi card out of my PC and use ethernet for a week or so, in order to troubleshoot the problem further?
It seems to me to be strange that the BSODs and the crashes on start up are caused by the wifi card, it seems unlikely because what does wifi have to do with that stuff?

So yeah, if you give me the go-ahead, I will remove the wifi card from my system and use ethernet.
Also, why is the wifi card so suspect?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yes, just use ethernet for a few days as your lan drivers are from may this year. IF you get more bsod I will have to guess I am wrong.

i think win 10 checks with servers when you logon to check the password used.

Wifi cards have been stopping working most of the year. I don't have an explanation of why except that many are based on old chips from various companies. Broadcom don't make their own drivers for their chips. they used to rely on Killer internet which originally started as part of Broadcom. But that source got shut off earlier this year making my job of finding drivers suddenly really hard.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
OK as you wish, I will remove the wifi card from my PC and I will also uninstall the Asus drivers for the card.
Thanks Colif, I can report back to you in 1 week and tell you how it went (if I experienced any BSODs or crashes) unless you need me for anything else right now?

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I'd just thought I'd say I'm still testing system stability.
I will report back probably in some days-weeks. It's a hard problem to test for.

I tested the wi-fi adapter since the 2nd of November, today on the 11th of November my computer crashed.
So, I've uninstalled the adapter software and removed the adapter and re-testing the system to see if it's now stable.

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
if you get any new BSOD, please share the dumps in case they blame something else.

Since I started testing with ethernet I have had 1 random ethernet disconnection. Not a big deal I think.
But, I just got a BSOD, here is the dump: http://www.mediafire.com/file/805ddp88irjd0i7/111720-8718-01.dmp/file

I had a problem uploading the dump at first because the file permissions were changed, but not a problem as I fixed that.
This BSOD is slightly different to others I have had, it says: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
But the other information is all the same, like the error caused by address ntoskrnl.exe, it might actually be the same BSOD as before.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/pmfeaLkb/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:111720-8718-01.dmp (Nov 16 2020 - 14:20:00)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 03 Min(s), and 32 Sec(s)

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
"memory_corruption (Process: csrss.exe) "
If that refers to the RAM and not the HDD, I have suspected the RAM for a long time.
If it's the RAM, I was recently talking to G.Skill; the maker of my RAM, and they offered me an RMA.

Last edited:

psy1

Prominent
Aug 9, 2020
I'll give some more information about the issue:
I upgraded my computer recently with new RAM and a WIFI adapter.
Previously to that, I cannot recall my computer crashing - ever.
After that upgrade, I'm getting crashes every day; all BSOD.
But only about 1/20 of the crashes is producing a dump file for some reason. The types of crashes are very fast, I see the blue screen for about a half a second and then the computer shuts down and doesn't produce a dump file.

I can be 95% sure it's the RAM because the wifi adapter has been completely uninstalled.

Last edited: