Question Crashing PC

Jun 23, 2020
Ive had the problem of my PC crashing few seconds after booting into windows, it usually happends when i start my PC fot the first time in the day, than i force shut down it, reboot it and it works perfectly fine for the rest of the night, sometimes it happends every day, sometimes it would stop for a week than the next week it would crash regulary... Ive tried a lot of things, i certain that its not the following parts : Motherboard, Ram, storage. Those things ive replaced and the problem was still there. From the testing ive done, im sure its not software based, ive done everything in that matter even reinstaling windows several times on a clean system, nothing made it go away. Im positive that its the PSU, i bought it second hand, its the Corsair RM750X (older version), but there isnt anything that can make me 100% sure that it in fact is the PSU, i dont want to buy another one to find out that it wasnt the problem, so today i took it apart to check for bloated capacitors or any signs that something might be wrokng, but nothing, carefully checked every part of the PCB for burn marks, and it was like new, the insides of it basicly look new. Thats why im writing my problem here, did anyone experience simular problems and manage to solve them, does anyone know that this is a for sure symptom of a failing PSU? Ive heard that if the problem is in the PSU and if it goes unsolved it could cause big problems to the system, even shorting of other parts? To be clear the problem is not anoying me it happends once in a day i just reboot and go on, if i knew that nothing bad can happen in the form of damaging other parts i wouldent be that woried.

There are times when some components don't work well when cold. A very odd condition, but it happens. Think marginal components which otherwise still function. I have one computer like that. The first boot would warm things up, and thus stabilize.

I happen to dual boot with Linux, and can control the bootloader. If I let the bootloader sit for 30 seconds prior to starting Windows or Linux, it works. If I've been using the computer that day, then it still works without waiting. If in the morning I boot quickly, then it tends to sometimes do what you describe.

If this is the case for you, then anything which lets the system run (even if idling) for perhaps over 30 seconds before starting would tend to work around this. You probably don't dual boot, but I am thinking if you can go into the BIOS setup and set the delay time before continuing to boot to something high (a value which you'd not normally use, e.g., 30 seconds or a full minute), and this prevents the failure, then you've probably found the culprit.

Probably a better substitute would be to run memtest86 which would provide an actual load and maybe be useful in the future:

You'd manually pick to use memtest86 and let the system run a minute before rebooting and seeing if actual normal boot succeeds. Also useful for other testing and nice to have around.

Jun 23, 2020
You are correct i dont dual boot the system wich i might try from now on. I did run memtest86 not long ago to see what it would show, it did its cycle wich took some time and it came out saying Pass complete, no errors...

and this also happens in summer (hot summers) if you were reffering to room temparature as being cold.

You are correct i dont dual boot the system wich i might try from now on. I did run memtest86 not long ago to see what it would show, it did its cycle wich took some time and it came out saying Pass complete, no errors...

and this also happens in summer (hot summers) if you were reffering to room temparature as being cold.

I wouldn't be using memtest86 to test memory. The purpose in this case is to have the machine warm up for a minute. You'd have to run this for a few minutes first thing in the morning, and then see if it boots ok when warmed up.

Certainly room temperature can matter, but this is not "warmed up". The system which I have which does this will do it with warm mornings or cold mornings. The temperature and other components will be significantly above room temperature after a minute of running. This is the goal, and you have to disregard room temperature since this is not "warm" even on a "warm day" compared to a system which has been idling for a minute. The GRUB bootloader in Linux is itself very low CPU use, but being in the wait menu there provides power and clocks are running...everything which was off is now on for a minute. I am sure that Kansas is warm in comparison the Antarctica, but we need more than that for temperature testing.

Consider that what you really want is to have the system running for a minute before full boot to the operating system itself. That is what needs testing.

Jun 23, 2020
Allright ill try that for a few days and ill report back with the resoults. But my main question is can anything get damaged, the crashing is not that anoying to me, but it worries me that in a month or 2 the system wont event turn on anymore, im a collage student i cant really aford anything else going wrong, if its the PSU i can handle that but in a month or so somthing else gets damaged alongside the PSU failing totaly well im basicly screwed, i can take it all and thorw it straight in the trash.

Jun 23, 2020
I tried the method of using memtest for a few minutes before booting windows, and the first day didnt even get to open bios it just froze and nothing was poping up on the screne so i restart it and it go to bios run memtest and ehen i bootes it was fine, than the next day i turn on the pc ooen bios enter memteat, let it run for around 5-8 min. Than booted into windows and leave it idle for a few min while i went to get a dring, when i came back thw screen was black. So today i took it to a computer service shop (witch was my last option bcz where im from its really expensive) and thay said the power suply is faulty... Apriciate the help honestly and thank you for your time my good man.