[SOLVED] Crashing to desktop.. all games, all launchers...

May 13, 2019
Hey guys,

Specs first...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME Z390 - A
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
RAM - 32GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU - Corsair TX750M

Temps are all normal - 50-55c for CPU and 60ish for GPU.

If any of you wizards out there could help me, I'm at my wits end.

I assume it's a graphical/GPU error hence the reason for the post here....

Any game I play via any launcher (mainly Ghost Recon Wildlands and PUBG with a bit of WoW on the side) have started just randomly crashing to desktop, very frequently. I never get an error message, except one time on WoW and I'll post it below.

I also stream (who doesn't these days eh?!) so it's not the best experience for my viewers for me to have to keep restarting a game and then it crashing it again.

Things I've done - I did a fresh install of Windows over the weekend, I've updated my mobo BIOS, I've done a GPU driver uninstall followed by a clean install*, I've tried various games and it happens to them all.

*The last time I did a GPU driver overhaul Nvidia said that I needed the DCH version of the drivers, it has never said that before. Anyway, that's what I installed and it still happens.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'll be eternally grateful, thanks guys.

Andy.

unknown.png

Solution
Hey guys,

Specs first...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
PSU - Corsair TX750M

Any game I play via any launcher (mainly Ghost Recon Wildlands and PUBG with a bit of WoW on the side) have started just randomly crashing to desktop, very frequently. I never get an error message, except one time on WoW and I'll post it below.

I also stream (who doesn't these days eh?!) so it's not the best experience for my viewers for me to have to keep restarting a game...
Hey guys,

Specs first...

CPU - Intel i7 9700K
PSU - Corsair TX750M

I also stream (who doesn't these days eh?!) so it's not the best experience for my viewers for me to have to keep restarting a game and then it crashing it again.

Things I've done - I did a fresh install of Windows over the weekend, I've updated my mobo BIOS, I've done a GPU driver uninstall followed by a clean install*, I've tried various games and it happens to them all.

*The last time I did a GPU driver overhaul Nvidia said that I needed the DCH version of the drivers, it has never said that before. Anyway, that's what I installed and it still happens.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'll be eternally grateful, thanks guys.

Andy.

unknown.png
It happened to me many times when trying to overclock ram so i believe its a ram related problem maybe try disable the XMP profile and let ram run at stock speed (2133 mhz) and see if this fill fix it or run memtest as already suggested.

Solution
May 13, 2019
OK so I think, I figured that out, theres in image file in the ZIP I downloaded, Im currently now writing that USB.

I've scrolled down the PDF instructions and theres a ton of test options... what am I looking for?

Sorry for what must be seemingly daft questions.

Andy.

May 13, 2019
Ok we're getting somewhere here..!

I ran the test, and it's getting tonnes of errors. 69 so far..! Test at 50% will report back shortly with full results and if you guys can guide me from there I'll be forever grateful!

Andy.

Ok we're getting somewhere here..!

I ran the test, and it's getting tonnes of errors. 69 so far..! Test at 50% will report back shortly with full results and if you guys can guide me from there I'll be forever grateful!

Andy.
What is the memory speed you are running your ram? If its 3000mhz or more and you use XMP disable it and let the ram run at stock speeds and see if this will fix the problem.

May 13, 2019
Ok I will see if I have the XMP setting on when the tests finish.

I have 4 slots on my mobo and the ram is in each of the 4 slots. 4 X 8gb ram sticks. In each of the 4 slots.

May 13, 2019
Ok so memtest is over. It's found 2773 errors!

I have removed to of the sticks of ram leaving only 16gb in slots 1 and 3 and have re run the test.

Currently halfway through and found 300 or so errors already. I am going to wait for this test to end and then run the test again with the other two sticks or ram that I removed previously in slots 2 and 4 on the mobo.

Thanks again for all your help. Clearly something is wrong here.

Would it definitely be faulty ram or would there be something on the setting of the bios that could be changed to fix this?

Thanks again

Andy.