"Crashing" To Desktop Please Help

plasmashark

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
I'm hoping that I'm just having a memory lapse and there is something very easy to fix this. I'll try to describe the problem without making this a novel but please don't hold me to it. I built my computer with an ATI Radeon 9700 card and a Viewsonic P220f monitor which advertises a maximum resolution of 2048X1536. Obviously I don't run it that high because everything on the desktop would be annoyingly small. Therefore, I run it at 1280X1024. I included this information because I have a hypothesis...many of the games I am running on this system will support a much higher resolution than this and I run most at max resolution. In game when mousing it often throws me back out to the desktop a few times when I click certain areas of the screen. This happens to every game where I have the resolution set equal or greater than the resolution on the desktop (Diablo runs fine and I'm thinking it is because it will only run at 800X600). Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening? It is just a nuisance as I can minimize the game I'm playing and click on the minimized menu bar and it will run fine. Edited: I don't remember this happening on previous versions of windows so I included it in the section from the OS I was currently running.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by plasmashark on 08/13/03 10:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

List your full specs, IE; M/B, CPU, Soundcard, P/S Wattage ETC. It will make helping you easier, this problem may or may not have anything to do with the Graphics Card, could even be driver related.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

plasmashark

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2002
I'm sorry maybe I should have described the problem in a little more detail...I apologize. In games and other applications that have to adjust the resolution, it seems that after the adjustment is made, the program that made the adjustment doesn't quite fit the screen. There are certain areas of the screen, particularly in the lower right corner where the taskbar icons are, that if the program requires you to click in this area, it will switch to the desktop minimizing the current program. Alt+Tab fixes the problem but anytime the program has to adjust the resolution again (particularly in games where movies/cut screens are often in higher resolution than the rest of the program) this problem reappears. I suppose crash wasn't the right terminology because it doesn't actually close the program...this is more of a nuisance than anything else. I'll supply my rig details though in case anyone can help. Please don't mind if the items have too much information...I just cut and pasted from newegg.

Asus P4T533-C Motherboard
Intel Pentium 4 / 2.53GHz Northwood 512K Socket 478 Processor 533MHz
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum
Antec 480W Power Supply TRUE480
ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 9700 PRO 128MB
512 Mb PC1066 RDRAM
To my knowledge I have updated all of my drivers as well

The games this is happening in, have you checked for any available patches to the games, that may possibly address these issues. From maybe <A HREF="http://www.gamespy.com" target="_new">http://www.gamespy.com</A>

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>