Crashing, troubleshooting, and frustration...

Oct 17, 2018
Hello! I am on the last bit of patience here with my PC and I really need help.

Every time I play games, I crash. Some times it crashes every 10 minutes, sometimes every 2 to 3 hours on a good run. I can run day to day tasks like web browsing, word editors, image editing, and movies. I have OCed before, but not much. It has not been OCed in about 8 months.

Here's how it happens:
1. My screen freezes but the sound stays normal (I can hear my friends on Discord and I have about 1 second before I can tell them I crashed), after about 2 seconds, I hear a constant "Brrr" for about 2 to 3 seconds (some times it never stops until I either power off my PSU or hit the reset button - But lately it always automatically restarts) and then it restarts. I tried to set up mini dump crash reports but every time I restart, no dump files. I go into the "Event Viewer" to check the system logs. I see the same 3 errors:

Bottom Most Error: The previous system shutdown at (whatever time) on (whatever date) was unexpected.
Second Error: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation.
Third Error (Critical): The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This is a constant for every time I crash. I aligned the time on my watch to my PC so that I can check the exact time that I crashed to see if any events were logged. For example, I crashed at 10:10:30 and the event viewer shows logs until 8:04:44 then nothing again until 10:11:07 (which is the time it restarts) (Here's an image of the Event Logger: https://imgur.com/a/4sEg6KU )

Here's my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/HNhF3b
The GPUs are different brands though. One is PNY and the other Asus. Both reference PCBs.

Here are the steps I took to try and troubleshoot:
1. Re-install Windows. Tried the Home and the Pro versions.
2. Tried with 64GBs (different Kit), 32GBs, 16GBs, and 8GBs (8, 4, 2, and 1 stick) of RAM.
3. Used a different PSU.
4. Tried disabling audio drivers (someone told me they think it was related to that)
5. Tried disabling SLI.
6. Tried completely disabling the second GPU from device manager.
7. Tried more than 10 different GPU drivers (older ones, newer ones)
8. Looked at my temps (maybe over heating) and it was a good temperature.
9. Flash the BIOs on my motherboard.
10. Asking it nicely to please run and stop being a dick, it just ignored me...

Thanks for taking the time to read this! I really hope we can solve this as it's been going on for months...

Oct 17, 2018

I read online that I should boot from the Windows installation disk. What does "disk" mean exactly? I installed Windows from a USB that I made after buying Windows from microsoft.

Hello again

Booting a computer from an installation disk or disc lets you install the operating system on your hard disk drive or SSD.

It's the HDD or SSD where Windows is installed and your computer boots from it after installation.

If your HDD or SSD is corrupt, it may keep Windows from functioning correctly.

Although for Windows 8, this tutorial might give you detailed information about the CHKDSK command and how you can use it to fix the issues your disk(s) may have.

Good Luck!!

Oct 17, 2018

Thanks for the help! How do I know if it had any errors? All I saw was scanning and repairing with a % and it rebooted after about 20minutes.

Hello again

Usually the rectified errors are displayed after the process is complete. If the action was interrupted and the computer rebooted automatically, probably there is some issue with the disk.

You can try using any free disk repairing tool such as TestDisk, EaseUS Partition Master, etc. that can help you repair your hard drive, if Windows' built-in tool isn't able to do so efficiently.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!

Oct 17, 2018

Thanks for the fast reply. It did get to 100%, I'm guessing that's a good sign.

Hello again

Yes, that's a good sign. Did it come up with any error or mentioned how may issues were fixed?

I ask this because you already replaced almost everything, and did every possible thing to troubleshoot. After all this, it's only the hard drive that can be doubted.

Cheers!!

Oct 17, 2018

Off topic: I believe you edited my reply? Your reply is under my name lol.

No errors came up. Someone also suggested to stress test each component individually. I already did the CPU, now I'm doing the GPUs one at a time. (Since I already replaced the PSU and the RAM)

Oh Terribly sorry for the error. I didn't notice that. LOL :D

Yes please, try stress testing and share the output.

Cheers!!

Oct 17, 2018

I used IntelBurnTest and tested it at "Standard", skipped high, tested "Very High", then tested "Maximum". Temps did not go over 50C and everything went smoothly. I am currently testing GPU1 with FurMark. Been running for 19 minutes at 11520x2160 and aliasing at 8x. Temps have reached 58C but have balanced there. (they seem to be increasing but very slowly).

What temperature is considered too hot? For a 1080Ti

*edit*: GPU stabilized at 59C - been there for the past 8minutes.

I believe it's up to 80 that's considered normal. You can go through this discussion for more opinions.

TRENDING THREADS