Crashing when playing 3D games

Jan 8, 2019
I'll try to add backstory to show possible issues and solutions.
1) I buy a stock PC and later upgrade to an RX 460 4GB and TR2 430W PSU.
2) No problems for a long time, then games start crashing when I run them. Mostly CPU heavy games or most recent games. To combat this I lower max CPU usage to 90-99% to run games. I slowly have to lower this more and more as games keep crashing when I lower the max usage.
3) I decide it is a cooling problem and purchased a G100M RGB fan for my CPU. The issue still persisted though.
Most games don't have an issue. If it's older than 2015 or so. Newer games tend to crash my PC if I try to run them at max with my CPU running at a max of 100%. I tried to run GTA 5 again, but now it just flat out crashes my PC be it when the menu tries to load, or the game itself. It used to run fine at max settings and 40-60 FPS average. But even in safe mode, it won't load. Now, this may be an entirely separate issue, but I find it to be linked to whatever issue my PC is having. Not even setting my CPU to a max of 50% usage allows it to run.
XFX RX 460 4GB
AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz
G100M CPU cooler
Gigabyte 78lmt-USB3 motherboard
Thermaltake TR2 430W PSU
If you have any solutions, please help. This problem is starting to bother me. This is my first post here about an issue of mine, so if it's unorganized, please let me know and I'll try to clear things up

Jan 8, 2019

You think so? I saw other threads where it was a PSU problem. I'm kinda hoping it is since it's a simple fix. I recently ordered a 500W PSU. Would that be powerful enough? I have 16 GBs of RAM and a stock fan for the back. And thanks for the help :)

500 is barely good enough. It is still an improvement but as someone said 600w is probably better.
Also make sure its not a cheap unknown brand.

Tiebar90

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2014

500 is not enough.

you need atleast a 600W.

Jan 8, 2019
I made a thread recently about my PC crashing when gaming, and have decided to purchase a new PSU to hopefully solve the issue. So I'm going to annoy the forums one more time. I wanna be sure that games crashing is just my PSU and not my GPU as well. When I start my PC, I see the fans running so I assume all is good, but when I try to run 3D games, it shuts down instantly. Sometimes before it can even make it to the menu. Games like GTA V, Superflight, Rainbow 6 SIege, and even the 1st Thief. Everything will just shut off to a black screen instantly. The power light on the PC will faintly be visible, but I can't hold the power button to force it off. I can only turn off the extension cord that the PC is hooked up to and wait a few seconds before I hear a click and the PC is completely off. I can run 2D games no problem though such as LISA and Pixel Puzzle on Steam. I notice the fan doesn't run during these 2D games though so it may just be that the games don't require the card. Could there be something not initializing the card for 3D games or is it still just my PSU not being able to supply enough power anymore to run these advanced games? Any help is appreciated!