Question Crashing without BSOD when using second RAM

honeybadger_xyz

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
My computer keeps crashing when windows 10 is fully loaded up and running Borderlands 3, when I have the two RAMs in(It works well with only one RAM installed and doesn't crash). Tested it with windows memory diagnostics utility tool, memtest86(tested it 4 times) showed no errors even in A2&B2 slots and A1&B1slots and with the suspected RAM alone. It is using DOCP standard with settings configured in bios with 2666Mhz and advertised timing spec of 16-18-18-35 the Trc was set at 53 instead of Auto(but I've set it back to Auto for the Trc for the replacement RAM) the rest of the timing settings is set on Auto. I've sent the suspected RAM(thinking it was defective even though no errors were shown from results) in for a replacement a week ago and it is crashing like it with that suspected RAM did, only with two RAM sticks installed. I plan on testing the RAMs with Prime95 in custom settings if it stops crashing on Borderlands 3 benchmark test to verify its stability.

I'm running the first test with Memtest86 with 2 RAMs installed in the A2&B2 slots. I'm confident it wont show any errors on the replacement RAM like it did on the suspected RAM before replacement, I'm not confident with it running Borderlands 3 as it may crash. I don't overclock my system. I have not tried other settings in BIOS other than what I've said in here. I'm confident that I did not give it electric static discharge when handling the RAM as I've used anti static wrist band prior touching the RAM. Is there something I am overlooking here? I even sent a letter to Corsair to see if I can get their full timing list of this RAM model and I'm waiting for their reply on that as well.

Spec
AMD Ryzen 7 second gen 2700 processor
ASUS ROG Strix B450-F motherboard
Corsair DDR4 2666Mhz LPX Vengeance 16GB per module (2 sticks of CMK16GX4M1A2666C16) (exact same model number, brand, timing, speed and version)
AMD Sapphire RX590 8GB graphic card
3 SSDs and 3 HDDs
*1 pci-e wireless n 2.4Ghz card
*4 chassis fans
Corsair 650W PSU (CX650)

Thank you for taking your time reading this. I am still kind of new to this, it is my 4th computer doing RAM upgrades.

Edited with asterisk next to it

Last edited:

honeybadger_xyz

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
The memtest86 went through 4 passes without errors for 8 hours. It doesn't crash when I use memtest86. However when the operating system was loaded in and user account logged in and having a web browser with 10 different web page in tabs. For 10 minutes up running. It crashes the screen goes black and I have to hold power button down for 20 seconds to turn it off. I updated the bios to the latest update and reset cmos it still crashes and reconfigured to DOCP automatic settings. Anyhow with a single RAM it's fine but when it's dual channel it is a problem. Is this a power supply issue not handling the RMS of watts? According to newegg's power supply calculator with a rough estimate of 465 watts in use without wireless card pci-e, plus the 4 case fans, two fans on gpu, one fan for processor heatsink, and one power supply fan uncounted into the equation; the power supply can supply 82%(because of 80 plus Bronze) of 650 watts brings it down to 533 watts able to use 533 watts -465 watts = 68 watts of cushion space.

The question is, am I starving the computer of power? Because I don't think the RAM itself is causing the crash after numerous test in proper configuration.

honeybadger_xyz

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
CMK16GX4M1A2666C16 is a (1 x 16GB) kit. It is a Single Module and has no guarantee to work in a configuration of more than a single module.

I suggest returning what you bought and buy CMW32GX4M2Z2933C16.

VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM ...
What about this Ram? CMW32GX4M2A2666C16 I'm trying to not go above 2666Mhz unless I have to. Also how would I fill the other two RAM slots in the future, is it with this kit? I'd like to fill it up to 64GB of RAM so 4 x 16GB RAM. Thank you for your response!

honeybadger_xyz

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
I am having problems with the computer crashing again I had only the original ram in and it crashed with it not being under load. Then I got
CMW32GX4M2A2666C16
and tested it with burnintest and it crashed again no errors will be shown. I'm testing it with memtest86 and its not spitting out errors yet so I'm confident the memory is ok but it boggles my mind that it started to crash like this when I installed the second ram into the computer and its been crashing ever since.

honeybadger_xyz

Prominent
Nov 14, 2019
Testing components one by one in replacement pointed towards to the CPU. I've replaced the CPU with known good CPU and ran Burnintest for 12 hours with CPU replaced and it has not crashed at all. So it remains a mystery if the first and second RAM I bought to go with the original RAM in pair I used, may or may not have worked in pair as single modules in dual channel.

TRENDING THREADS