Crashing Without Explanation

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hey there. I've been working on a friend's computer since September, and I'm at a point where I have no other thoughts as to where I should keep going with troubleshooting. Here is my original post I made to Gigabyte.

"I'm having problems with a computer I am working with which is experiencing daily blue screen errors. The errors are varied, but include KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (either blaming ntoskrnl.exe, ntkrnlmp.exe, intelppm.sys, storahci.sys), SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (blaming win32full.sys or giving no driver or system file), PFN_LIST_CORRUPT (with no file given).

I did some troubleshooting and determined the video card to be at fault, which was supported by my taking the video card out and not having any more of the blue screen errors. I sent the video card in for RMA through Gigabyte, and was told that there was no issues with the video card with multiple configurations. Yet, upon re-installation of the video card, I began to have errors again. I tested the card in multiple slots on the motherboard which caused no change in the amount (or frequency) of errors.

I have flashed the BIOS, as well as updated every driver possible. I have removed the antivirus software that I had installed (Avast), and started using the antivirus installed with Windows 10. I have verified that Windows was up to date, and there are no further updates to install. The system is not overclocked to the best of my knowledge. It is not overheating. I formatted both hard drives and did a clean install of Windows, and the blue screen errors started as I was logging into Windows for the first time. I have disabled all unnecessary services. I have re-seated every connection and component within the case (including processor and heat sink) to no avail. I have made sure that no devices beyond what is strictly necessary were plugged in. I have checked for and resolved any event viewer errors, as well as device conflicts. I tried a few different BIOS configurations to rule out any type of setting conflict (including disabling the on-board video) which did not change the frequency or type of errors.

This build was made in January of 2017, and has had the memory replaced. I have re-run MemTest86 twice on each stick individually (with no errors found).

At this point, I am forced to believe that there is an underlying problem either with the motherboard, or its compatibility with the video card, as I had no problems while using the on-board video card as I was waiting for Gigabyte to return the video card. (Approximately two to three weeks).

I inspected the motherboard, and did not find any signs of damage, including micro-fractures, obvious circuitry issues, bent pins, blown capacitors, damaged PCI slots, or any other obvious signs of damage. "

The memory and hard drive have been replaced prior to me working on it. Since then, I have sent in the video card, motherboard, and processor for RMA. Gigabyte stated that the hardware they received tested fine in multiple scenarios (Video card and motherboard), while Intel replaced the processor while not specifically saying that there was anything wrong with the old processor. According to research I have done, as well as a number of opinions I have solicited, the power supply is more than sufficient to operate the system. I have tested (as stated) each stick of memory since its replacement and have found no errors using Memtest86+. I have ran the hard drive and the secondary hard drive through testing to rule out any type of errors, and I did not find any. In addition, I ran the computer without the secondary hard drive and continued to have the problems that I am having.

Now, replacing the processor produced the most promising results, and after that, for a short period of time, I did not have any issues. However, I started receiving SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. Made the determination that Windows 10 could be at fault and did a clean install of Windows. I had done one previously before RMA'ing any additional parts, and could not even make it through the install without crashing. This one made it through, and I made it through 4 days with normal use (some Minecraft, web surfing, average use to see how it reacted) before it finally restarted, but, this time with no blue screen, only a restart with no dump file made. It has done it 3 more times since then, two times without any type of dump file or blue screen, and the third time produced this (WhoCrashed log):

On Tue 2/6/2018 4:13:45 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020618-13062-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xAA445)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8023C744445, 0xFFFFF98D8E4465D8, 0xFFFFF98D8E445E20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: netr28ux.sys (netr28ux+0x40E11)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8023C744445, 0xFFFFF98D8E4465D8, 0xFFFFF98D8E445E20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netr28ux.sys
product: MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapters
company: MediaTek Inc.
description: MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netr28ux.sys (MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver, MediaTek Inc.).
Google query: netr28ux.sys MediaTek Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I have updated the driver, but I plan on seeing if I have any other wireless sticks around here to rule that out (the wifi connector). However, I can't imagine that this is the underlying issue and causing the problem. I thought for a moment it was a game (Peggle) as it seemed to only happen after playing Peggle for a while, but about an hour ago I'd been playing StarCraft II for no more than 15 minutes and it happened again.

Since then, I've checked BIOS and found that the RAM had been assigned an incorrect speed which I have corrected to run at the speed identified by the OEM. I have double-checked all remaining settings based off of other topics which seem to somewhat relate to the issue, and made sure that the mode (that I can't remember the exact name of off the top of my head) is set to AHCI not IDE. The BIOS has been flashed to the most current version. All Windows updates have been installed and all drivers are up to date as far as I can tell. It doesn't seem to do crash when it is just sitting idle anymore, which it used to, but I don't consider crashing while running any random application to be "stable".

So, TL:DR version:

- Computer restarted irregularly, buddy has me look it over after replacing hard drive/memory.
- Reinstalled Windows 10 twice.
- New CPU.
- Graphics/motherboard ruled fine by OEM.
- Hard drive/memory ruled fine through testing.
- Used to happen when idling, now appears to happen when software is running.

What am I missing?

Solution

Here's my update. Ran it for 5 days, without an issue. Had to restart because of a Windows Update. My buddy wanted me to run Prime95 to see what would happen. It ran for 5-6 minutes, and I got KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. WhoCrashed reports this:

On Wed 2/14/2018 10:55:28 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021418-8312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x175430)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803518D19F5, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)...

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

My apologies. I forgot to attach that.

EDIT: There's actually 4 sticks of 8gig memory.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G1 Power Supply
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Processor 4.0GHz 8.0GT/s 8MB LGA 1151
Motherboard: Gigabyte LGA 1151 Z170 2-Way SLCI UEFI DualBIOS ATX DDR4 ATX DDR4 NA Motherboards GA-Z170XP-SLI
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (4x8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
Hard Drive 1: Mushkin Enhanced ECO3 2.5" 480HB SATA III TLC SSD
Hard Drive 2: Toshiba 3TB DT01ACA300 7200 rpm SATA III 3.5"
Optical: LG Electronics 14x SATA Blu-ray Internal Rewriter

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I will restate; I have only received two dump files, and Windows has long since removed those two. The logs that I showed in my original post have the only results from the dump files that WhoCrashed showed. I do not have the dump files.

For your reference:

====

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020618-13062-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0xAA445)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000007E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8023C744445, 0xFFFFF98D8E4465D8, 0xFFFFF98D8E445E20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

This was probably caused by the following module: netr28ux.sys (netr28ux+0x40E11)
Bugcheck code: 0x7E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF8023C744445, 0xFFFFF98D8E4465D8, 0xFFFFF98D8E445E20)
Error: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\netr28ux.sys
product: MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapters
company: MediaTek Inc.
description: MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a system thread generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: netr28ux.sys (MediaTek 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver, MediaTek Inc.).
Google query: netr28ux.sys MediaTek Inc. SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

I have updated the driver, but I plan on seeing if I have any other wireless sticks around here to rule that out (the wifi connector). However, I can't imagine that this is the underlying issue and causing the problem.

=====

The only thing I forgot to note is that throughout this whole process, I have seen ntoskrnl.exe referenced back when this whole thing started. I've only seen it on this install of Windows once.

So, to restate, I do not have the full dump files, only what I have just shown you. If I am able to secure them, I will absolutely upload them.

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Drivers came from Netgear as that's who made the adapter, and the adapter model is A6210.

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Okay, I've installed that driver, and I will start running it. I don't believe this is something that is going to fix the overall issue because the issue predated the installation of the wifi dongle, but it can't hurt to fix the minor issues along the way.

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I will see what happens, and try some things that have made it crash in the past.

Daniel Rydell

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Here's my update. Ran it for 5 days, without an issue. Had to restart because of a Windows Update. My buddy wanted me to run Prime95 to see what would happen. It ran for 5-6 minutes, and I got KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED. WhoCrashed reports this:

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\021418-8312-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x175430)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803518D19F5, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!KeRegisterNmiCallback+0x1FE)
Bugcheck code: 0x1E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFF803518D19F5, 0x0, 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF)
Error: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This might be a case of memory corruption. This may be because of a hardware issue such as faulty RAM, overheating (thermal issue) or because of a buggy driver.

I'll grab the dmp files just in case you need it. The temperature was fine, and the RAM has already been replaced and re-tested.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An7lG2YIsDdNhTfcLdn0v73qBc1W Minidump

https://1drv.ms/u/s!An7lG2YIsDdNhTgnJ_WMzTbnwHS7 Dump file

Solution