[Crawl] Intriguing combos

Much has been written of powerful combos and easy combos, but I haven't
seen much on the topic of intriguing, often but not necessarily hard
combos. Just doing a hard combo is easy enough, but more interesting
and difficult is to find ones that are, well, intriguing. Some
examples:

Gnome beserker/evoker -- Of course gnomes can't be beserkers, so I
start these out as fighters or thieves -- fighters if I'm going for
axes, and thieves if for long swords. Fighters immediately turn off
armor and shields skills; thieves immediately turn off stealth,
stabbing, and short swords. The few that make it to the Temple
immediately convert to Trog. The few that find a scroll of acquirement
spend it, and every other one they find during the game, on rods. Once
they find a rod of destruction, they are pretty darn devastating.

Ogre Mage Crusader -- There are better crusader races than ogre mages,
but there are perhaps no better ogre mage classes than crusaders. Plus,
you'll be the first to YAVP with an Ogre Mage, I believe. :)

Troll Earth Elementalist -- Of course trolls can't be earth
elementalists, so you have to start as a fighter. I have one of these
parked at the moment, and I must say that the combo manages to swallow
the immense XP wastage involved surprisingly well. It's a troll after
all. :) My attempt is with a strategy of Unarmed, because I didn't
want to aggravate the XP wastage any further, but Maces and Flails (at
130 instead of Unarmed's 100) might be useful for the extra randart
slot.

Any more?

Erik

Twisted One wrote:
> Erik Piper wrote:
> > Ogre Mage Crusader -- There are better crusader races than ogre
mages,
> > but there are perhaps no better ogre mage classes than crusaders.
Plus,
> > you'll be the first to YAVP with an Ogre Mage, I believe. :)
>
> Believe what you want; *I* believe you'll be the umpteenth to YASD
with
> an Ogre Mage. ;)
>
> --
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
> Palladium? Trusted Computing? DRM? Microsoft? Sauron.
> "One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them
> One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them."

But the first in Crawl, or the first with a *race* called Ogre Mage,
not an Ogre who's a mage, non?

e.