Craziest Idea Ever (UW1)

*astonished mutters are heard about the existence of a topic that
actually pertains to Ultima*

I was talking on the Weyr today when, all of a sudden, an offhand
comment by Zephyrus led me to what I dub the Craziest Idea Ever. Allow
me to provide the conversation:

It all started when I had commented on an aspect of the room description
of where I was at ('An empty space between three mountain peaks where
Chyana finds solace and enlightenment.') and commented that that wasn't
what I would expect to find ebtween three mountains...

Lumina (GotTE) [to Chyana]: In Ultima IV, there's these three volcanic
islands, and if you search in the sea between them, you find the Skull
of Mondain - Mondain being the villain of Ultima I - and using that item
(by holding it aloft) lays waste to all life in the vicinity and you
lose ten karma points in EACH of the eight virtues.
Lumina (GotTE) [to Chyana]: Unless you used it while standing at the
entrance to the Stygian Abyss, whereupon the result would be casting it
in, which is the only way to destroy the artifact.
Enoch says, "tossing something into an abyss doesn't really destroy
it... just makes it really hard to get to"
Lumina (GotTE) . o O ( The Stygian Abyss itself being a volcano, as well
as the final dungeon of the game. )
Lumina (GotTE) [to Enoch]: I am IN the Abyss right now, and while I've
seen plenty of skulls, none have had apocalyptic results.
You blink.
You peer at Enoch suspiciously.
Enoch [to Lumina]: that's cuz everyone and their brother toss skulls
into there
Lumina (GotTE) [to Enoch]: I oughtta smite you for giving me the idea to
search around, find every skull in the game, and try using them all.
Enoch laughs at you.
You say, "It would so rule if they put that in as an easter egg."
Lumina (GotTE) won't act on that idea. This time.
Lumina (GotTE) [to Enoch]: Really, it wouldn't be hard to do - they have
plenty of items which, when used, perform spell effects. The runic spell
VasKalCorp is the armag spell in UW games. Attaching it to a nondescript
skull would be no problem.
Enoch [to Lumina]: ok
You say, "Better yet, a descript skull. I know some mone piles, when in
your inventory and inspected, can reveal stuff about them. Garamon's
bones say "they look to be the bones of a fighter" or somesuch."

Now, answer me this: Is that, or is that not, the Craziest Idea Ever?

And is anyone crazy enough to test it, or will I have to?

-Lumina Dragon

thehawk

Distinguished
May 19, 2003

In article <d3rt8m$cor$1@domitilla.aioe.org>, kewhitte@hotmail.com
says...
> *astonished mutters are heard about the existence of a topic that
> actually pertains to Ultima*
>
> I was talking on the Weyr today when, all of a sudden, an offhand
> comment by Zephyrus led me to what I dub the Craziest Idea Ever. Allow
> me to provide the conversation:
>
> It all started when I had commented on an aspect of the room description
> of where I was at ('An empty space between three mountain peaks where
> Chyana finds solace and enlightenment.') and commented that that wasn't
> what I would expect to find ebtween three mountains...
>

> Lumina (GotTE) [to Chyana]: In Ultima IV, there's these three volcanic
> islands, and if you search in the sea between them, you find the Skull
> of Mondain - Mondain being the villain of Ultima I - and using that item
> (by holding it aloft) lays waste to all life in the vicinity and you
> lose ten karma points in EACH of the eight virtues.
> Lumina (GotTE) [to Chyana]: Unless you used it while standing at the
> entrance to the Stygian Abyss, whereupon the result would be casting it
> in, which is the only way to destroy the artifact.
> Enoch says, "tossing something into an abyss doesn't really destroy
> it... just makes it really hard to get to"
> Lumina (GotTE) . o O ( The Stygian Abyss itself being a volcano, as well
> as the final dungeon of the game. )
> Lumina (GotTE) [to Enoch]: I am IN the Abyss right now, and while I've
> seen plenty of skulls, none have had apocalyptic results.
> You blink.
> You peer at Enoch suspiciously.
> Enoch [to Lumina]: that's cuz everyone and their brother toss skulls
> into there
> Lumina (GotTE) [to Enoch]: I oughtta smite you for giving me the idea to
> search around, find every skull in the game, and try using them all.
> Enoch laughs at you.
> You say, "It would so rule if they put that in as an easter egg."
> Lumina (GotTE) won't act on that idea. This time.
> Lumina (GotTE) [to Enoch]: Really, it wouldn't be hard to do - they have
> plenty of items which, when used, perform spell effects. The runic spell
> VasKalCorp is the armag spell in UW games. Attaching it to a nondescript
> skull would be no problem.
> Enoch [to Lumina]: ok
> You say, "Better yet, a descript skull. I know some mone piles, when in
> your inventory and inspected, can reveal stuff about them. Garamon's
> bones say "they look to be the bones of a fighter" or somesuch."

> Now, answer me this: Is that, or is that not, the Craziest Idea Ever?
>
> And is anyone crazy enough to test it, or will I have to?
>
> -Lumina Dragon

You have to. UW gives me a headache.

-thehawk
Fallen Angel Dragon, UDIC

With a deafening roar and a whoosh of spray, Lumina Dragon swings about and
addresses the awaiting newsgroup...

> Now, answer me this: Is that, or is that not, the Craziest Idea Ever?
>
> And is anyone crazy enough to test it, or will I have to?

Test away. I'm too busy for that, especially given the way the Underworlds
behave on a faster computer.

--
Paulon Dragon d++ e++ N T+ Om+ UK!1!2!3!4!5!6!7!'!S!'!8!9!A!L!M!W!
-==(UDIC)==- u++ uC++ uF uG+ uLB- uA+ nC+ nR nH+ nP+ nI nPT nS++ nT+ y

Danger Will Robinson! One of your nodes is about to fall off!
Ultima VII endgame.exe file

"Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Now, answer me this: Is that, or is that not, the Craziest Idea
> Ever?
>
> And is anyone crazy enough to test it, or will I have to?

I have been meaning to replay Underworld anyway...

But it might be easier to extract the item description text and look
for such refrences...

-Ophidian

Zac Bond wrote:
> "Lumina Dragon" <kewhitte@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>Now, answer me this: Is that, or is that not, the Craziest Idea
>>Ever?
>>
>>And is anyone crazy enough to test it, or will I have to?
>>

> I have been meaning to replay Underworld anyway...

Good; provides some competition. Besides, I'm focussing more on Baldur's
Gate than Underworld right now. I did, however, train my Lore up to 30
and save on an alternate file, that I may be prepared to seek the Skull
when I get around to it.

> But it might be easier to extract the item description text and look
> for such refrences...

Like I know how to do that.

-Lumina Dragon