Question Crazy CPU bottlenecking with the AMD a10 7870k?

Nov 11, 2019
So I recently made the upgrade from a gtx 970 to the rx 5700xt. I have an AMD a10 7870k CPU and somehow after the GPU upgrade my performance in games that I had played before became way worse than before. I was dropping below 20fps in games like Borderlands 2, and below 30fps in Minecraft. I understand it may be bottlenecking because games are only using 10% of my gpu and usually around 70% of the CPU, but is it possible to have that bad of bottlenecking. I feel like there may be something else going on, any help would be much appreciated!

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
In general you shouldn't lose performance from a GPU upgrade even if you're bottle-necked (which you definitely are in this case, badly). But it's possible there could be small differences in driver overhead, which are exaggerated due to the sever bottleneck.

Could try checking for overheating. Download AMD overdrive and check the lowest value for thermal margin you see while gaming.

uran6800

Reputable
Apr 26, 2016
I have owned an A10 7850k APU they are just horrible maybe you cant even compare them to a i3 4th gen. You need a better cpu bro

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Tapatalk

Nov 11, 2019
Yes I went through all that, and I installed the latest and drivers as well.
I have owned an A10 7850k APU they are just horrible maybe you cant even compare them to a i3 4th gen. You need a better cpu bro

Sent from my Nokia 5.1 using Tapatalk

Ok yeah, I am planning to get a ryzen 5 3600 soon, I just wanted to make sure that my CPU really is the problem, cause I feel like I still should be getting better fps.

Nov 11, 2019
In general you shouldn't lose performance from a GPU upgrade even if you're bottle-necked (which you definitely are in this case, badly). But it's possible there could be small differences in driver overhead, which are exaggerated due to the sever bottleneck.

Could try checking for overheating. Download AMD overdrive and check the lowest value for thermal margin you see while gaming.

Thanks for the info, yeah it’s weird because some programs show different temperatures, one called speccy says my cpu at idle temp is like 70 Celsius, but others say it’s normal around 20-30 I’ll check it out though.

TRENDING THREADS