[SOLVED] Crazy cursor

Herman Thrognorton

Honorable
Apr 7, 2015
I have an older Toshiba Satellite Laptop. It has Windows 10 Home. Intel core i5-4210U, 6 GB RAM, 750GB HD. Internet is via Wi-Fi.

About 2 weeks ago, half of the key board stopped working... I have a mini keyboard so I plugged that it and was able to use. A few days ago, crazy stuff started happening with the cursor. I immediately thought some kind of virus so I ran every piece of malware remove software I could find... nothing significant found.

What I would see.... if I double clicked on a desktop icon, the icon all the way to the right on that line would open. If I try to watch a video, I could open the viewer but once I hit play the video runs in super fast speed all the way to the end, no stopping it. If I open a web page and click any where on that document, the cursor scrolls all the way to the end. If I open a folder with several files, doesn't matter which one I click on, the cursor goes to the last one.

I removed all the important stuff and did a complete reset of the laptop. I added all my usual stuff including google Chrome. Almost immediately, I had the same problem. I've spent many hours troubleshooting via guides found via google. I have changed the mouse, changed the battery, turned off the touchpad, removed/reinstalled the mouse software, updated all drivers... everything someone thought I should try, I tried it. I still had the same problem.

Today I did a full reset again, this time I didn't add anything. Only thing on this laptop now if the stuff you get when you reinstall windows 10. I did run the windows update,. I opened a desktop Text document, typed in about 50 characters.... same problem. Click on any one characters, cursor flies to the right. Opened the supplied Microsoft browser.... same problem as before.

I need help, where do I go next?

Solution
Ok, so next step is to try to figure if this is a software or hardware issue.

Do this : Go get an known Linux distro (Ubuntu, Mint, etc will do fine) - then make it a bootable USB-stick or DVD. If you're choosing USB stick you need to use a piece of software to make it bootable (unetbootin or similar).
YOU DO NOT INSTALL THIS - JUST START IT FROM DVD/USB AS A TEMPORARY OS.

When you get it so far that you've managed to access the Linux desktop, then see if the cursor/keyboard work properly (the regular keys that is). Use the included web browser and try to use internet for a while just to see if it works.
Have you spilled some sauce or soda or something that one a time was tasty onto the keyboard ?

Have the computer being handled improperly (i.e. fell down on the floor) before this issues started ?

Have you or someone else being gaming on that computer and have an outburst let the keyboard take the punishment ?

Herman Thrognorton

Honorable
Apr 7, 2015
Have you spilled some sauce or soda or something that one a time was tasty onto the keyboard ?

Have the computer being handled improperly (i.e. fell down on the floor) before this issues started ?

Have you or someone else being gaming on that computer and have an outburst let the keyboard take the punishment ?

No to all 3

Ok, so next step is to try to figure if this is a software or hardware issue.

Do this : Go get an known Linux distro (Ubuntu, Mint, etc will do fine) - then make it a bootable USB-stick or DVD. If you're choosing USB stick you need to use a piece of software to make it bootable (unetbootin or similar).
YOU DO NOT INSTALL THIS - JUST START IT FROM DVD/USB AS A TEMPORARY OS.

When you get it so far that you've managed to access the Linux desktop, then see if the cursor/keyboard work properly (the regular keys that is). Use the included web browser and try to use internet for a while just to see if it works.

Solution