Question Crazy fan and sudden shut down.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
I have an old PC with two SSDs. It started being noisy on booting since a couple months ago. But I added one more SSD. The case only has one main fan. It keeps being noisy the same way, except this time the PC shuts down all of sudden before reaching the windows logo. I'm not sure if it's a cooling problem that I need to add more fans or maybe something else like the power supply. A help would be so much appreciated -- without a suggestion for upgrading (not an option for me right now). BTW, I use a 600 watt cooler master.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Probably.
Check temperatures in BIOS.
Check if all fans are spinning.

Can you show a photo of your system with side panel removed?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

List full specs of your system.
Will do ASAP. I tried to reset it back to my last workable setting with just two SSDs. But it shutdowns too. I don't understand. Everything was fine before I installed in the new SSD.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
Probably unrelated to SSD
(unless the SSD is damaged or cables connecting it).
And it also took 4 minutes to boot before this happened.

P. S:
I have to add. After removing the ssd, i managed to get in and continuing reinstalling windows. But now (with ISO installation), that when it starts to shutdown.

Last edited:
That software you're using, is giving obviously wrong temperature readings.
To achieve 25C on CPU, your room temperature would need to be 10C (or below).

60C is more believable.
Replace CPU thermal paste.

And try a different software for temperature monitoring - HWinfo64, HWMonitor, Coretemp.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
That software you're using, is giving obviously wrong temperature readings.
To achieve 25C on CPU, your room temperature would need to be 10C (or below).

60C is more believable.
Replace CPU thermal paste.

And try a different software for temperature monitoring - HWinfo64, HWMonitor, Coretemp.
Thermal paste has been replaced prior. The temp is i don't think misleading because this is on idle. I don't hear any loud noise except when booting.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is copied from a reply I posted just a couple days ago in another thread, but I suspect it is your problem, too.

If this fan is a few years old, what you describe sounds like worn bearings. Typical symptom pattern of that is:
1. Fan starts to make odd noise when it first starts up after being off for a long time. Noise lasts a short time, then stops. If you reboot there is no noise. But if you shut down for a long time so everything cools off, the noise is there again for a short time after boot.
2. As time goes on (over a few months), the initial noise lasts for longer and longer, but does stop eventually.
3. At some point the noise is always there.
4. In the end, the fan seizes up altogether and makes NO noise because it does not turn at all.

If that's the pattern you see developing but it still does not make noise all the time, then this is the time to replace the fan. There is no way to repair it, and you can NOT add oil to fix it. Be sure to replace BEFORE it seizes up so you have no cooling from it.

This may apply to either or both of the CPU cooler fan and the case's only general ventilation fan. If either is badly worn and noisy, that also means it is turning too slowly and NOT providing good air flow to cool.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
This is copied from a reply I posted just a couple days ago in another thread, but I suspect it is your problem, too.

If this fan is a few years old, what you describe sounds like worn bearings. Typical symptom pattern of that is:
1. Fan starts to make odd noise when it first starts up after being off for a long time. Noise lasts a short time, then stops. If you reboot there is no noise. But if you shut down for a long time so everything cools off, the noise is there again for a short time after boot.
2. As time goes on (over a few months), the initial noise lasts for longer and longer, but does stop eventually.
3. At some point the noise is always there.
4. In the end, the fan seizes up altogether and makes NO noise because it does not turn at all.

If that's the pattern you see developing but it still does not make noise all the time, then this is the time to replace the fan. There is no way to repair it, and you can NOT add oil to fix it. Be sure to replace BEFORE it seizes up so you have no cooling from it.

This may apply to either or both of the CPU cooler fan and the case's only general ventilation fan. If either is badly worn and noisy, that also means it is turning too slowly and NOT providing good air flow to cool.
Yes! I reckon it's getting worse over time. So do you suggest to replace the fan with a new reguler one or with a better cooler? Do you think the cpu can add up to the overheating issue causing the shutdown?

Do you think the cpu can add up to the overheating issue causing the shutdown?
definitely.
that is where the majority of system heat comes from and it is the CPU that actually heats up causing the system to throttle and/or shutdown.

a new/better cooler should drastically cut temperatures.
but it also needs a good amount of cool air intake, and preferably enough warm air exhaust, to provide necessary cooling.

you should verify if the case fan is also in good working order.
most cheaper prebuilt or OEM builds come with low quality case fans anyway.
so it may be worth it to also replace the case fan with something better and make sure there is a good path for incoming cool air along with a fan exhausting heated air.

when providing system information you need to actually list the make & model of all components.
just a system info screen shot doesn't tell much.

Motherboard:
CPU:
RAM:
GPU(if any):
PSU:
Drives:
Case:

looking at the images you provided;
the front of the case seems to be pretty blocked by drive cages, 5.25" housing, etc.

i would add a nice intake fan at the bottom.
and also use a nice exhaust in the rear.

provide an image of the entire system from the outside with that side panel still off.
showing: front, top, open side, with inside-rear and inside-bottom also in view.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
First off let me say that I don't know where you are and what your market is like, so take with a grain of salt. I am in the US and make my statements based on that locale.

If you can come across a free cooler/fan, and that is absolutely what is going to fix your problem I would suggest going ahead. Biased in IDK what you do with the PC as use case.

This PC is on or around 12 years old and was not really considered a strong contender at the time. Even before looking into spending any money on this rig it may be worthwhile to check into other used options, or even new. Giving us an idea of location, budget, and use case could be very helpful.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
normally, no.
unless it was damaged by excessive temperatures.

but, that is rare because CPUs have defense mechanism built-in that cause them to throttle speeds to lower temperature and then shutdown altogether if reaching those dangerous temperature levels.
Ok. Do you think there's a cooler that fits to any kind of cpu? I'm saving up for a new system, but i also dont want to spend for another great cooler if i upgrade the pc. Meanwhile, i need this old pc to get to work.

Do you think there's a cooler that fits to any kind of cpu?
definitely not.

you need information to verify cooler fit & clearance.
at least:
MOTHERBOARD,
RAM,
CASE.

there are height varieties,
RAM clearance varieties,
and other factors that may pertain to the installation options and the cooler's ability to fit in this location.

finding something designed to fit this old of a system could be difficult.
but, could also be rather cheap if there is someone with old used dinosaur hardware just looking to unload it for near to nothing.

no cooler you get for this thing is going to be compatible with modern hardware.
so if you're worried about having to spend twice, I would just consider this current system junk and continue saving for something relevant.

Reactions: ozzi3
if money is a big issue you should probably just look for a cheap replacement fan to replace the current cooler's.

I would also look for one to add as intake in this case.
but, you need to know what options are available;
3pin motherboard header, 4pin header(doubt it), straight molex power from the PSU, etc...

Last edited:

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
definitely not.

you need information to verify cooler fit & clearance.
at least:
MOTHERBOARD,
RAM,
CASE.

there are height varieties,
RAM clearance varieties,
and other factors that may pertain to the installation options and the cooler's ability to fit in this location.

finding something designed to fit this old of a system could be difficult.
but, could also be rather cheap if there is someone with old used dinosaur hardware just looking to unload it for near to nothing.

no cooler you get for this thing is going to be compatible with modern hardware.
so if you're worried about having to spend twice, I would just consider this current system junk and continue saving for something relevant.
MB: gigabyte 970a-d3p
RAM: team elite plus 4x8gb ddr3
CASE: fractal design define r3 or 4

the original CM Hyper 212 or the "Black Edition" should fit this socket.
if you can find one cheap, I'd probably go for it.
used one on my FX-8350 many years ago and it was a great cooler at the time.

you will need to verify that it will fit in this case and next to/over your RAM, but it was a good option back in the day.

ozzi3

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2014
the original CM Hyper 212 or the "Black Edition" should fit this socket.
if you can find one cheap, I'd probably go for it.
used one on my FX-8350 many years ago and it was a great cooler at the time.

you will need to verify that it will fit in this case and next to/over your RAM, but it was a good option back in the day.
Thanks. How many intake/exhaust fans do i need with this case btw?

Thanks. How many intake/exhaust fans do i need with this case btw?
I would go for as many as you can fit.
from your earlier provided image, looks like only that one intake option in the bottom.

considering that the case in your image is what you have available;
you could get a much better case with much better airflow now that comes with multiple intakes/exhaust and just plan on also using it with any future build.