[SOLVED] Crazy high CPU load and bad frames

Dec 18, 2018
I recently poured water into my PC while it was running. I shut it off completely as fast as possible, tore it down, wiped it down and let the parts dry for 24 hours. I put it back together and it worked fine for about a week when the PSU died. I bought a new PSU and began to have this issue: In PUBG, with very low settings (i5-7400 and a 1070) I'm getting like 30-40fps max and my cpu says it is at 100% load. I thought that maybe it was thermal throttling but the temps haven't hit above 45 Celsius. I thought that the PSU wasn't supplying enough power so I just installed a replacement but I am having the same issue. The clock speed of everything is normal, temps are normal, but my frames are TRASH and I am just confused at this point. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Full Specs:
i5-7400
MSI Tomahawk Artic h270
ASUS 1070 8gb
16gb Corsair Vengeance
2x Kingston M.2 (Raid 0)
3tb Seagate barracuda
Corsair CX550M

Solution
I'd first see if the CPU appears to behave normally under a simple CPU-Z/bench/'stress CPU' sort of load...(you can see what is a typical score for an i5-7400 online, both single core and multicore)

http://valid.x86.fr/bench/wsnnsl/8

(we are not quibbling/wild-goose chasing over being down 100 points over someone else's rig, we are looking for obvious major score discrepancies of 30-40%, etc...)

All cores should hit 3.2 GHz or so, and sustain it without throttling... you can install and monitor HWmonitor to see if that is occurring in near real time...

You might also have to test your GPU in another serviceable computer to see if it functions normally in a known good mainboard with a known good power source input, etc...
I'd first see if the CPU appears to behave normally under a simple CPU-Z/bench/'stress CPU' sort of load...(you can see what is a typical score for an i5-7400 online, both single core and multicore)

http://valid.x86.fr/bench/wsnnsl/8

(we are not quibbling/wild-goose chasing over being down 100 points over someone else's rig, we are looking for obvious major score discrepancies of 30-40%, etc...)

All cores should hit 3.2 GHz or so, and sustain it without throttling... you can install and monitor HWmonitor to see if that is occurring in near real time...

You might also have to test your GPU in another serviceable computer to see if it functions normally in a known good mainboard with a known good power source input, etc...

Water can do bad things to mainboards...and GPUs...

Solution