Crazy Talk: Surface RT Tablet May Cost $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapnick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm excited to see how this introduction to the market steps up the competition.

I am currently an Android(tablet & phone) user but I like the idea of a windows based system because so much of my work is run off of windows platform so being able to have that same type of access in a tablet (especially full versions of Office) would make a huge impact on my productivity.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Well, as Acer boss said, Microsoft shouldn't price it so low that it undercuts its own partners. It will be a boon for the customers in the short run, but if the partners are gone because of undercutting, Microsoft will have a monopoly in Windows 8 tablets.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Selling it at $499 or $599 will see it flop.

Selling it at $199 is a great move since it will push units, get Devs to want to make applications for a device that is being used by millions. Microsoft can afford to take a hit, just like they did with the original XBOX. Even $299 would be great, has to be half the price of a iPad at least.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
199 I'm buying that thing like yesterday. $299 is great price too ... I mean considering the IPAD goes for $500-$800, I can't see how this thing shouldn't retail for more than $199 and it can play flash!!!!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
If they sell this for $199, and if app support seems to be there, I will buy one.

The one major mistake Google made with the Nexus 7 was not having a microSD slot. It seems every tablet has one major feature missing. If it has a good SoC, RAM, etc, it doesn't have an SD slot, but if it has an SD slot, usually the SoC and/or RAM is lacking.

Let's just hope MS doesn't release a tablet with very good hardware all around but lacking software support. If this pricing is true, Microsoft could very well make a huge dent in the market by taking a loss on the hardware and making it up with software sales IF they encourage excellent app development.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, as Acer boss said, Microsoft shouldn't price it so low that it undercuts its own partners. It will be a boon for the customers in the short run, but if the partners are gone because of undercutting, Microsoft will have a monopoly in Windows 8 tablets.[/citation]

And how many apple partners are there? Personally, MS partners on this front sux, just like the MS Partners sux on phones, the truth be told if MS has the money and research to throw at making a gorgeous and compelling product, i'm more than happy with that. Partners had every right to do right by MS, and keep putting out isht products.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Well, as Acer boss said, Microsoft shouldn't price it so low that it undercuts its own partners. It will be a boon for the customers in the short run, but if the partners are gone because of undercutting, Microsoft will have a monopoly in Windows 8 tablets.[/citation]
How can it undercut partners? I thought MS's hardware partners for PC were upset at MS for making the Surface in house rather than using them?

Perhaps this is why MS is making the Surface in house rather than making a deal with their usual PC partners to make the tablets, because they want to sell the hardware at a loss.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]If they sell this for $199, and if app support seems to be there, I will buy one.The one major mistake Google made with the Nexus 7 was not having a microSD slot. It seems every tablet has one major feature missing. If it has a good SoC, RAM, etc, it doesn't have an SD slot, but if it has an SD slot, usually the SoC and/or RAM is lacking.Let's just hope MS doesn't release a tablet with very good hardware all around but lacking software support. If this pricing is true, Microsoft could very well make a huge dent in the market by taking a loss on the hardware and making it up with software sales IF they encourage excellent app development.[/citation]

Even like that, Nexus 7 can not be kept in stock long enough in stores. I agree the lack of SD support is a big problem, but only for some users, while others get it for what is intended: media consumption and past-time.

Software support is not something MS will get instantly, but if the tablet is spec-ed and priced right, it will come in no time. Besides, it is always easier to fix software shortcomings than lack of hardware. Once this starts to sell, we will have apps coming out in no time, IMO.

marcolorenzo

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
I wouldn't say it's too far fetched. $199 is probably too cheap but still, I can imagine that MS would allow themselves to lose a lot of money on each device and then try and make it back through software and peripherals. Releasing a product like this is a long term investment. It was their strategy for the original Xbox and that surely paid off. Not many companies could've pulled that off but when you have pockets like MS, it isn't impossible,

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]How can it undercut partners? I thought MS's hardware partners for PC were upset at MS for making the Surface in house rather than using them?Perhaps this is why MS is making the Surface in house rather than making a deal with their usual PC partners to make the tablets, because they want to sell the hardware at a loss.[/citation]
Why would partners ever want to sell hardware at a loss? It's does not make sense for them to do that. MS has good reason to sell at a loss; Push the new Windows 8 RT OS, garner interest in the entire Windows 8 ecosystem, motivate developers to make WinRT apps, boost MS Marketplace. MS will recoup any hardware losses in the long run, hardware partners will not if they sell at a loss.

199$, hell yeah! I would buy one the second they are available! They would probably make up for their losses with the windows 8 built in store applications on sake and surface accessories.

An actual Windows OS on the surface(which is the only tablet I've ever been impressed by) for that price? Hell Yeah! Sounds to good to be true though, anything higher than 250-300 and it's a flop.

chomlee

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I think they need to sell these things at cost in order to get into the marketplace and gain a foothold. $199-$250 seems to be the pricepoint shown by Google Nexus. Look at what happened to the HP touchpad during the firesale. It became the most sold tablet in 2011 next to Ipad thanks to the low price.

Microsoft initially loses money on consoles, why shouldn't they do the same with tablets, especially when they are competing with a market that is already saturated with Ipads and Anrdoid tablets. They need to figure that they will be making money on the app sales/media sales.

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]If they sell this for $199, and if app support seems to be there, I will buy one.The one major mistake Google made with the Nexus 7 was not having a microSD slot. It seems every tablet has one major feature missing. If it has a good SoC, RAM, etc, it doesn't have an SD slot, but if it has an SD slot, usually the SoC and/or RAM is lacking.Let's just hope MS doesn't release a tablet with very good hardware all around but lacking software support. If this pricing is true, Microsoft could very well make a huge dent in the market by taking a loss on the hardware and making it up with software sales IF they encourage excellent app development.[/citation]

I wonder though how much they would actually take as hit in hardware losses? It may very well be very minor if you're buying the hardware components necessary in massive bulks.

It would be a very smart idea, selling 199$? You know everyone would buy one of those in a heartbeat allowing you to buy even huger bulks to sell even more at a low price. As long as their application support is good is their only issue, but it's Windows so I think it would work out well.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i dont see this for $199 unless there is a catch... like buy windows 8 for home pc and get a coupon

msft is usually fairly predictable expect when they announced the xbox slim out of nowhere

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
Wasn't previously announced that Windows RT tablets would hover around 599$ ?

I mean, it would take the market by storm if the tablet was priced at 199$, but it's way too good to be true. Even Asus said that the 8 Gb Nexus 7 at 199$ was barely making even, and the Windows RT tablet is bigger with more storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.