[SOLVED] Crazy temperature spikes / Ryzen 5800X / ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / Noctua NH-D14

Dec 2, 2020
Built the system based on Ryzen 5800X / ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / Noctua NH-D14 (via AM4 adapter) and got crazy temp spikes on load. For ex. running OCCT with small data set ramps up the temp almost instantly to 90 degrees.

The heatsink is OK, used it with I7 2700K.

Checked all possible issues like heatsink contact, firmware, drivers, etc.. nothing helped.

Then found two very interesting options:
Precision Boost Overdrive
Core Performance Boost

Disabling them keeps the temp under 65 degrees.

Has anyone run into the same problem? I wonder if that another premium bonus from godlike firmware developers :D

Solution
Built the system based on Ryzen 5800X / ROG Strix X570-E Gaming / Noctua NH-D14 (via AM4 adapter) and got crazy temp spikes on load. For ex. running OCCT with small data set ramps up the temp almost instantly to 90 degrees.

Checked all possible issues like heatsink contact, firmware, drivers, etc.. nothing helped.

Core Performance Boost

Has anyone run into the same problem? I wonder if that another premium bonus from godlike firmware developers :D

That's perfectly normal. 5800x is a very hot chip and is operating as expected. If you search online you will see that...
you could manually turn the core voltage down to 1.35 or below, see for differences. both PBO and CPB increases clock yet also increase voltage when necessary. you should try to figure out the core (-) offset that fits you if you still want to retain that PBO and CPB on.

Sep 9, 2020
"The heatsink is OK, used it with I7 2700K."

It is not a one shoe fits all instance. Be generous with the thermopaste on the ryzen 5000 series

Jmusic88

Prominent
Mar 11, 2020

Core Performance Boost

That's perfectly normal. 5800x is a very hot chip and is operating as expected. If you search online you will see that from AMD on reddit stating that its perfectly normal and these new ryzen 5000 series don't get thermally throttled until they actually reach 90C (for 5800x). These chips just operate at high temps. Especially when you stress test them using these software. These softwares are unrealistic day to day use so you shouldn't reach 90C in the first place, but you will have overall higher temps than what you are used to, but it's normal!

I personally OC mine and undervolt it using ryzen master for gaming only so it keeps it nice and cool. During gaming in stock I'm in the 70s. When I OC it to 4.65 at 1.31V I'm between 50-60C (I haven't played with voltages to be honest, I could probably go lower).

Also these chips have issues with PBO due to the bios versions. Lots have experienced crashing, bsods. So having PBO disabled at this point if you are experiencing it is best.

Regarding CPB, you disabling it makes you run your chip at core speed of 3.8 ghz which is limiting your CPU's true potential. You are disabling your performance. Your chip at minimum should auto boost to 4.7ghz. Why get such a good cpu if you are going to limit its potential?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS