[SOLVED] Creaking noise during start up - can anyone shed some light?

Ootsie87

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Hi guys,

So as of yesterday, my PC has started to make an odd creaking noise during start up. I've taken a video of the noise here:
View: https://youtu.be/FST1a6YiN5Y

The noise stops once my PC has booted and oddly enough doesn't occur again when playing games. For comparison, I've also taken another video when my PC is under fairly heavy load:
View: https://youtu.be/Y62opQQQnZo

Other helpful info:

• My PC is only a year old and I haven't changed any components since building it
  • It's used daily for light to moderate gaming, nothing else
  • I don't use hard drives, only m.2 SSD's
  • The noise doesn't occur when shutting the PC down
  • I frequently clean my PC, so there's no real dust build up

Specs:

Asus ROG Strix z490 e gaming.
Intel i5 10600K
Corsair H100I Platinum CPU cooler
2 x 16GB sticks of Corsair Dominator RAM @ 3200 MHz
Asus ROG Strix 3080 Ti

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance community.

Solution
H1001 use fluid dynamic fans so I haven't heard that noise from either of mine at start up. I have heard some odd noises caused by dust on them but mine run in quiet plan most of time and I can't even hear them when they are on over the top of my exhaust fans.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would still clean fans as generally only noise you hear is fans. All it takes is a little dust on blades, which reminds me I still need to clean mine. All I can hear is my exhaust fans

startup is when fans run faster until bios gives control to windows, so worth a try.

if its not that, open case, get a piece of paper and roll it up so you can listen down it and isolate where noise is at boot.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
are they case fans or AIO?

it sounds to me like it could be maybe rubbing against the front of case but its clearly a fan since it only happens when PC revs fans up at boot. tr running fans at max and see if you can reproduce sound

Ootsie87

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
They're all AIO fans. I have my2 fan CPU cooler radiator set up on the front of the case as intake. There's a single fan beneath that, then 2 on the bottom and the top.

The 2nd video is my rig under load with fans going as fast as they would usually go when gaming but no sound. I'll try and see if I can reproduce the problem or single the fan out but that doesn't explain why this would happen out of nowhere?

Surely a loose bearing or something rubbing would make a clear noise when my PC i under load no?

"that doesn't explain why this would happen out of nowhere? "

The fans are generally made very cheaply and I'm not surprised it happened out of nowhere.
I've had this happen many many times.
I've had it happen with brand new fans as well.
Also....you can have the noise at certain speeds and not others.
This is also very common.

Ootsie87

Reputable
Jan 12, 2020
Ok thanks mate. So I basically need to identify which fan is making the noise and try to re-seat it.

If re-seating it doesn't fix the noise then replace it right?

Finally, does the noise in my first video sound to you like it could be a fan?

Colif

Win 11 Master
H1001 use fluid dynamic fans so I haven't heard that noise from either of mine at start up. I have heard some odd noises caused by dust on them but mine run in quiet plan most of time and I can't even hear them when they are on over the top of my exhaust fans.

Solution