Create a user in Xubuntu with no password required to login

supermanu15

Distinguished
Hi guys, I just recently installed Xubuntu on my laptop and I want to create a user profile which does not need any password to log in for family members' general use. Not the "Guest" profile because everything resets when you logout. Just a user profile where people can login immediately.

I have tried this in the terminal running on root user:
useradd User_Name
passwd -d User_Name

I have successfully created a profile which doesn't require a password but this was when I had Fedora LXDE in here, somehow it does not work in Xubuntu, when I press "Login" it just brings me back to the Login screen with the selected user which supposedly does not have any password flashed in front of me. Thank you guys for your responses!

Update:
Now everytime I create a user even though I specified a password, it does not even log in! Just brings me back to the login page :/

Solution

This is tricky to do, and you should not do it ever, but I will tell you how.

First, create the user profile with a disabled password:

sudo adduser --disabled-password <account name>

then, delete the password

sudo passwd -d <account name>

Solution

supermanu15

Distinguished

THAT NAILED IT, man thanks a million! :D

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
"and you should not do it ever,"

Keep in mind that the reason for this is that you eliminate one of your protections against viruses and the user can access and modify anything on your computer. Just be careful who you let near the machine!

supermanu15

Distinguished

oh that is noted :) its a dell inspiron 1525, and it's something that will always be plugged in(battery is broken so it is on AC) so users are in the household and i see no trust issues so it is ok :D

TRENDING THREADS