Create executable link for delete certain IE settings?

Phil_36

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017
No serious Batch file or scripting experience, so bear with me. We use a site for our business that has to run on IE and has to have the cache cleared a certain way sometimes for it to function.

We have to go IE options, uncheck delete history on exit - go to delete browsing hisotry and
uncheck preserve favorites
check the rest
delete/apply

Then we have to go in the IE settings and go to delete browsing hisotry and
Check preserve favorites
Uncheck Temp files
Uncheck cookies

Delete/apply

Having end users attempt to follow these directions has been a nightmare and so has manually doing this, either in person or remotely to over 290 pc's.

All are on Windows 7 pro

What can I create 2 shortcuts that, when double clicked, will execute those commands?
I will push the shortcuts via gpo so that part I am good with

Any help or advice would be great.

You would want to use a computer policy for this. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/itpro/internet-explorer/ie11-deploy-guide/group-policy-and-local-group-policy-editor-ie11 When setting the policy you can set it up for just about any setting and option in Windows to be on or off and also to block users from changing things. Make sure you don't get too happy with clicking things or you can actually set it up so even the administrator account does not have rights to change anything and then you need a new Windows setup to clear things.

Phil_36

Commendable
Jan 18, 2017

Thanks man, but it is a little more of a pain than that. I know how to deploy GPO's, but the company who provides our EHR says these settings need to be in place...for their system to work...which we pay for.

We already have 10 GPO's in place. This set of settings wants ust to go to Internet options, UNCHECK preserve favorities,CHECK temp files and cookies/delete...THEN CHECK preserve favorites then UNCHECK temp files and cookies and leave delete on exit UNCHECKED. It's ridiculous that we have to adjust our whole system just to get the product we pay for to work. If yuo bought a PC, then 2 years later microsoft sent a 30 page guide of registry edits you needed to make (as an end user) just for the computer to funtion as it should...you would return it, no?

What will doing those two things in that order do though? The first time you run them with all the things checked, they will be cleared. So running it the second time with options unchecked should do nothing since they were already cleared. The first full clear will wipe temp files and cookies when you run it, so then unchecking them and running it again will do nothing since they were already cleared.

All those can be set with a registry edit, but I don't see any benefit to the second part since the first part clears what the second part wants to save (unchecking temp and cookies).

This has some details on how to pragmatically delete IE temp files https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/scriptcenter/en-US/5178ac53-9b0e-486f-b405-32c33a9756bf/internet-temporary-files-deletion-script?forum=ITCG but it's from 2010 so current browsers may be different. Also http://superuser.com/questions/450014/clearmytracksbyprocess-all-options

TRENDING THREADS