Create New OU & Place Computers Under it

I have a SBS 2000 server. In AD, under my domain is a folder
called computers with all my domain computers in them. I also
have all my groups, folders & distribution groups under MyBusiness.

This may seem very simple for someone who knows AD, however I am
baffled. I would like to create an OU to put specific domain computers
under so I can apply specific group policies to them. However, I do
not want to screw up any of the existing functionality of the server.
I know how important AD is overall, and I am afraid to screw something
up.

I figured out how to create a new OU, but how do I get the existing computer
names into that folder? Do I just move them out of the computer folder
into my new OU folder? Or is it a bit more complex?

Cheers,

John

Your absolutely correct. You can just move the computer accounts into new
OU's whenever you want to with no side effects. then you can apply whatever
policies you want to the new ou's.

Philip Nunn

"John McLagan" <jmclagan@cesmail.net> wrote in message
> I have a SBS 2000 server. In AD, under my domain is a folder
> called computers with all my domain computers in them. I also
> have all my groups, folders & distribution groups under MyBusiness.
>
> This may seem very simple for someone who knows AD, however I am
> baffled. I would like to create an OU to put specific domain computers
> under so I can apply specific group policies to them. However, I do
> not want to screw up any of the existing functionality of the server.
> I know how important AD is overall, and I am afraid to screw something
> up.
>
> I figured out how to create a new OU, but how do I get the existing
computer
> names into that folder? Do I just move them out of the computer folder
> into my new OU folder? Or is it a bit more complex?

> Cheers,
>
> John

Right click the computer object and select Move from the context menu.

Choose the OU to move the object to and click Ok.

Good luck

Charles