Created a liveusb and now I can't use Windows any more

yasin_ibraim

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Hey, I am using Windows 8.1 and decided to try to install Linux mint as well. Because I didn't have a free memory stick or a dvd i downloaded lili liveusb and created a 1.5gb live USB and put my Linux mint iso file. All went good but when I tried booting that partition (same physical hard as the windows one) it was saying that it was not good, so I wanted to try an other iso file, but when I wanted to boot on Windows I can't. It always opens the Linux installation... What can I do?
System: Asus laptop
cpu i7
8gb ram
GPU nvidia GTX 850

Solution
Wait.....you created a Linux live USB, on the same internal hard drive as your Windows install?

I think you have completely hosed your Windows install. Generally, creating a bootable Linux on a USB will wipe out everything on that drive. Since you did this on the internal hard drive....

That was meant to be created on a USB stick.
You used lili on the same hard drive as windows? If so then you have over written the windows boot loader with syslinux bootloader.

Getba windows install disk and use the boot repair option or fixmbr.

Or If you feel adventurous you can add a windows entry to the syslinux boot list!

yasin_ibraim

Reputable
Mar 1, 2014
Hey, I'm back... Still haven't managed to solve the problem. All I could do is get rid of the Linux install but now when I boot it says no operating system found... Tried check disk with the windows dvd and everything seemed to be good, no errors bit still can't boot on Windows. When I tried repairing with the dvd it says that the selected drive is locked. Any help please?

USAFRet

Titan
Wait.....you created a Linux live USB, on the same internal hard drive as your Windows install?

I think you have completely hosed your Windows install. Generally, creating a bootable Linux on a USB will wipe out everything on that drive. Since you did this on the internal hard drive....

That was meant to be created on a USB stick.

Solution