Question Created files dissapeared after restart or shutdown and deleted files came back

Jan 12, 2022
As the title said, my new laptop with SSD had the issue after updating windows 10 to lastest version from its earlier version of windows 10.

Warning: bad grammar.

The problem began with BSOD (code: memory management) when I was trying to download something big or create big files. I was trying to reset the OS through settings but it need restart. After restart no follow up or loading screen appeared. It was directly displaying desktop and like there is no previous scheduled processes at all.

Then, I uninstalled some apps and installing another apps. I got my work done and turn off the laptop. When I turn it on again.. boom, the uninstalled came back and the created files were gone.

I can't do any process with restart included in it.

I ran lenovo hardware diagnostic, all passed except SMART Status Test. It was failed.

I was trying to format disk and install new OS (first attempt linux and second windows) with live usb. But it said such error "can't make partition", "can't write to disk".

I was discussed with the seller, I've returned the laptop to its team for re-check. But they said the SSD has been test for 2 days and everything is okay. I don't know..

They asked me if I had installed "deep freeze" app, but I haven't. They explained probably there is something such data-locker-app that protect my storage. No more explanation.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Is your logon linked to an email address? is it a Microsoft Account? Is it the one pc is linked to (this doesn't really matter)

I could maybe guess why the applications came back, as win 10 has a roaming profile for your user and its possible it just didn't record fact you removed those apps on last logon, and on restart it reloaded them.
That doesn't explain why files disappeared

i wonder who makes the ssd in the laptop.
In windows, can you open Device manager
under storage, what drives does it show?

I assume its not windows 10 Pro? that would include bitlocker but I don't think it would do this behavior.

can you open file explorer
right click documents
click location tab
where is it pointing to? Some PC it points at Onedrive instead of a drive.

Reactions: cucumber1420
Jan 12, 2022
Is your logon linked to an email address? is it a Microsoft Account? Is it the one pc is linked to (this doesn't really matter)

I could maybe guess why the applications came back, as win 10 has a roaming profile for your user and its possible it just didn't record fact you removed those apps on last logon, and on restart it reloaded them.
That doesn't explain why files disappeared

i wonder who makes the ssd in the laptop.
In windows, can you open Device manager
under storage, what drives does it show?

I assume its not windows 10 Pro? that would include bitlocker but I don't think it would do this behavior.

can you open file explorer
right click documents
click location tab
where is it pointing to? Some PC it points at Onedrive instead of a drive.

Yup my logon linked to my Ms. Account

I'm afraid I don't get your words. The device manager shows under disk drives: HS-SSD-E100N 256 G

Yeah my laptop has Windows 10 Home, not The Pro one.

Documents point to my drive ( C:\User\xxx\Documents)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: cucumber1420
Jan 12, 2022
Okay, did what you asked, the crystaldisk info said Good 100% in Health Status. Everything is blue ( I mean no attribute name has different color which indicates caution)

I have tried another way to check my disk health with cmd command, here's the result
Code:
wmic diskdrive get status,model
Model              Status
HS-SSD-E100N 256G  Pred Fail

I remember when i was trying to install linux (KDE Neon), the error box popped out said such thing
"Your drive is likely to fail soon"

Is it all about of my storage health or a data-locker-app or kinda reboot to restore software? Do you have any strong tendency? If I for example take my "silver bullet" by buying for a new storage, is it completely remove this pain isn't it?

I've checked my profile is local profile, not the roaming one. The account sync as you've mentioned is enabled

I thought it was about system protection in control panel. Yes it was on. Then i turned it off. I tried test it again by creating files and deleting apps. Create another local account with administrator privilege. Login into it and shutdown.

But, unfortunately when I turn it back on.. the symptoms reoccured. Created files missing, deleted app come back. The created account is gone. The system protection is turned back on.

Last edited: