Creating a Bios Flashing Floppy Disk

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
Stay with me here this isn't something I've ever had to do before. I need to make a floppy disk to flash my bios (they are corrupt) and I've been trying to figure out how to do this.

I've heard of several ways going into Windows XP and formatting and MS-Dos disk or there's a website called bootdisk.com/ where you can download this program that formats your floppy. So I can use either of these methods but the problem is how do I get the files on the disk that are needed to flash the disk after I format it. Windows doesn't seem to recognize the disk as a formatted disk so it won't let me copy the files on that way, and every website I find stops just short of telling you how to do this saying something like "now copy the files needed" which really doesn't explain how to do it. Thanks you guys in advance for any help.

Did you download and run drdflash.exe (Driver Free Disk For BIOS Flashing) from bootdisk.com to create a bootable floppy? Once done, then copy the BIOS flash utility and the BIOS file to the bootable floppy and then boot from it to flash the BIOS. That procedure works fine for older PCs only. Newer ones require a BIOS file that's too large to fit on a floppy.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I already know all that. The point of this question is HOW do you copy the files. When you format the disk in XP you cannot just drag the files on to the disk so how do you get the files copied to the Floppy.

Once the boot diskette has been created and you have downloaded the BIOS files, you simply drag them from your hard disk to the floppy disk. It can't be simpler than that. Copying files to a floppy is no different than copying them to a hard disk or a USB drive.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I'll say it again... If I format the disk with windows MS-Dos or That drdflash.exe. Windows doesn't recognize the disk as formatted so I cannot just drag the files on there. What do I do? (Yes I've tried many disks and different computers)

Were those diskettes used before or are they brand new?

I presume that you followed this procedure:

- Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.
- In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
- Click Start

What type of system or motherboard do you have that requires flashing from a diskette? It has to be several years old.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
4745454b As I said above (Yes I've tried many disks and different computers).

GhislainG That's exactly what I'm doing. It is an older mobo a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
I'm just going to quick post this again so there is no confusion.

*I format a MS-Dos disk by right clicking the A drive and format then selecting that option

*I'm using new disks

*I've tried several different floppy drives

The issue is once the disk is made, Windows does not recognize that the disk has been formatted when I try to open it. Windows asks me if I would like to format the disk even though a just did so there is no way to copy bios files needed onto the disk.

overbound

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2009
As was inferred by earlier posts its an older pc and has be be floppy.

At anyrate after trying ten different NEW disks one finally worked. What the heck? Anyway the bios is flashed but it didn't even fix the problem this PC was having. Back to square one I guess...

It is an older mobo a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Yeah thats an oldie that will have to be flashed with a floppy disk.

Is the floppy light on the whole time?

If you're connected with a ribbon cable is the wire twist towards the M/B or the Floppy drive?

Is your Floppy properly configured in the BIOS setup to appear as the A:\> drive?

Even though you're using new floppy disks as you've said, it is possible to get a bad batch of Floppy disks, I bought a pack of 50 disks once and ended up trashing 2/3rds of them, I ended up with about 15 good out of the entire 50 pack.

However its unusual to be able to format a floppy disk and then not be able to write to it, if you received a format successful note at the end of the formatting.

Have you tried to right click and select copy of the file to transfer, then go to My Computer and do not open the A:\> drive just right click the drive and select paste and see if the file can be transferred that way?

EDIT: Sorry My Bad, didn't catch your very last entry that the problem was solved. :pt1cable: