Creating a Bootable USB Drive to install Windows to new SSD

Maddo_Scientist

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
After the choosing of a usb and finishing the installation is it safe to use it for installing Windows, are there no other steps. there is a setup.exe, am I supposed to click it? Guides out there are all for different circumstances when installing using the tool, I'm just using it to reinstall Windows on my new SSD.

Pic
http://puu.sh/r8Ime/c7de8f8fed.png

Solution

Disconnect all other drives
Boot from that USB
Install

Maddo_Scientist

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

I'm doing a clean install to a new SSD, on a slow HDD atm, will turn this drive into a storage drive after I fix SSD. I was just wondering if I'd done everything correct, I'm always careful when things seem too easy.

Maddo_Scientist

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

I did use the Media Creation Tool, but I'm using 8.1, not really feeling Windows 10. So I guess setting the boot priority and finishing the setup is all there is to it.

USAFRet

Titan

Disconnect all other drives
Boot from that USB
Install

Solution

Maddo_Scientist

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

Follow up question, I want to use my current drive which has Windows installed for a storage drive when I install Windows on the other drive, do I have to reformat this drive before I make the Windows installation on the new drive? Or can you format AKA remove windows from the previous drive while in the installation process?

USAFRet

Titan

After the OS is fully installed on the SSD, then you reconnect the old HDD
Delete all the partitions on it, format, and use it as needed.

Key word...after. Not during.

Maddo_Scientist

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

So after the OS is installed on the SSD I put in the HDD which still has my old OS installed, won't that cause any problems?

Maddo_Scientist

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

Alright, that's all the info I needed, gonna get ahead with this SSD installation soon enough.