Creating a budget PC for in-laws

Ewhitaker0020

Honorable
Sep 10, 2013
Hey, I'm going to build a PC for my wife's parents. They would only use this PC for browsing the internet and the random internet based game, like candy crush or similar.

This whole process started because a co-worker gave me some components he had laying around. I figured I could buy the extra components and make them a computer for super cheap.

My co-worker informed me that the mobo he gave me was actually bad but the Intel core 2 quad 9550 was fully working and a really nice chip. I've tried searching for a replacement board that has the Intel 775 socket, but they're really expensive for used ones. I mean, I could buy a am3+ socket mobo for around the same money, unfortunately then I have to buy a cpu as well.

Can anybody help me pick components for a PC for them either:

A.) Using the components I already have and buying the ones I don't.

Or

B.) Buying all new components except for the power supply and the graphics card. I have both of those and there's no reason to replace them for this build.

I just recently upgraded my pc and my wife's laptop to SSD's and absolutely love the performance increase. So I'm thinking about getting her an SSD as well. If I get her the 500 GB SSD then that's all the storage she'll ever need. I don't really want to ever purchase a mechanical hard drive again for the rest of my life if I can help it. We've all had such bad luck with them failing and losing all of our data.

I'm trying to keep this build as cheap as possible and it doesn't need to be a very powerful computer. I just want it to work well and. It be super sluggish, they've been really nice to us over the last couple of years.

Here's a list of all the components I already have.

Coolmax m-500b 500 watt power supply. I should be able to use this in anything I build them.

Radeon HD 6850. Should be able to use this.

Intel core 2 quad q9550 I should have been able to use this, but I can't find a reasonable priced board for this CPU.

4 x 2gb sticks of g.skill f28500cl5d ram. I should be able to use this.

I already have the monitor, keyboard and mouse. But, I will have to buy a PC case and windows 10. Can anybody help me either use all of these components to build them a PC while buying the missing ones. The biggest thing holding me back is wether or not to buy a LGA 775 board or to buy a different board and CPU and just not use the q9550. Which would be a shame because this is all they would ever need for a cpu.

I know this is a lengthy post, but thanks again for any help you can give me.