[SOLVED] Creating a custom PC with spare parts?

Jul 15, 2019
Hi there. So basically I bought a computer from a random guy for 300 dollars, it's done well for me except recently it's starting to do some really funky things. My guess is because he didn't build it right. I'm wondering if I could make myself an entirely new pc but cut down the budget by using parts I already have in my house. Here's my specs:

CPU: Intel Core i3 6100 3.70GHz

Ram: 8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1064MHz

Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. H110M-E/M.2 (LGA1151)

GPU: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International)

Storage: 238GB SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device -- 1TB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-00WN4A0 --
I also have a spare PC in my house that apparently has these two in it, know idea what they are but I got it off of speccy.
1397GB Seagate ST31500541AS ATA Device (2 of them)

If using these parts I already have is impractical, I'd love it if someone could tell me if custom builds are the right choice right now, and an idea of oen I could make for around 1000 dollars. If I could be using the parts, I'd like to spend 600-800$ Thanks to anyone who will be willing to help me!

Solution
The funky things are randomly turning off, really loud fan occasionally that sounds like a fudging rocket launching off and then annoying things like it freezing randomly.
That would make me suspect improper cpu cooling and some issue with PSU.
Possibly also too much dust in the system, haven't been cleaned up for some time.

So .. get a better cpu cooler, new high quality PSU and maybe better pc case.
What is it doing? It's likely not due to be built improperly.

But, if you did want to build a new system, I would recommend going with a new Ryzen CPU and mothebroard.

THat's probably a good choice because that i3-6100 is too weak for the GTX 970. And, that motherboard doesn't support new CPUs with more than 4 cores.

There's plenty of options for your budget, and a custom PC is the way to go.

*Update:

I'd agree with @vapour, something like this, get new RAM and you can just leave the old PC together, removing only the GPU and storage drives for the new build. Then the old PC could still be used if you have a spare drive to use for it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($329.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team T-Force Vulcan 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($67.69 @ Amazon)
Total: $661.67
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-29 10:52 EDT-0400

Jul 15, 2019
what is your major usage?
If gaming, I will keep the gpu and storage. Get Ryzen 3xxx is a good choice.

I'm a gamer who also streams and creates youtube videos. Would that require a better CPU then what you guy's have previously said?
I normally play mid tier graphic games like rocket league or minecraft with a fancy shader.
Thanks!

Jul 15, 2019
The Ryzen 7 3700X would do well. If you want the best, then get a Ryzen 9 3900X. But the 3700X is still very good at doing that.

Would this system be overclockable? And would that mean I would need another fan?
If so what fan and case would you recommend for this build? Oh yeah and which of the storage should I use? The 256GB Samsung SSD, the 1TB HDD or the other thing?
I'm currently using a sceptre monitor which I added to the PC Part Picker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Somefloppyears/saved/#view=tsXFGX
Should I just buy a second one because I want a dual monitor setup? Or is there a better option for the same price?
Thanks!

Use the SSD for isntalling Windows. Use the HDD for games storage.

You can overclock it. You could get a number of different coolers to help with that, but from what I've seen overclocking Ryzen 3000 doesn't do a whole lot.

A better cooler will still help though, here are a few of my suggestions:

Noctua NH-U14S
Noctua NH-D15
Noctua NH-D15S

beQuiet Dark Rock 4
beQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4

Cryorig R1 Ultimate/Universal

Corsair H115i PRO

NZXT Kraken X52 and X62

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cheapest solution is get a second-hand i7-6700k. It'll work at stock clocks on that motherboard, and will offer 4c/8t at the same ability as your current 2c/4t i3-6100, which is a considerable difference in overall ability as far as gaming goes, with current games, even minecraft mods, looking to use more than 4 threads.

Ebay is @ $130 or less. Otherwise, as said, it's going to be a $600-$700 total core component redo of cpu/mobo/ram

Jul 15, 2019
Cheapest solution is get a second-hand i7-6700k. It'll work at stock clocks on that motherboard, and will offer 4c/8t at the same ability as your current 2c/4t i3-6100, which is a considerable difference in overall ability as far as gaming goes, with current games, even minecraft mods, looking to use more than 4 threads.

Ebay is @ $130 or less. Otherwise, as said, it's going to be a $600-$700 total core component redo of cpu/mobo/ram

I think I'd rather mosty build a new pc. Is the build that the people above put together a good one?

My take:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $390.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-29 13:08 EDT-0400

Since your games are not that intensive, this is more than enough. There will always be better choices coming up every year. Get what you need now and maybe some headroom is more than enough.

First of all, what might have changed to make the pc do "funky things"
And what does funky things mean?
It is unlikely that the builder made any mistakes since it ran well at first.
I might suspect malware or perhaps a virus.

I might guess that this is a gaming build because of the 970 graphics.
In what way is this pc not doing the job for you?

The usual limiting factor for a gamer is the graphics card.
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A decent graphics upgrade might be a GTX1660/ti, about $200-$300.
That is an easy upgrade that can be carried forward to a new cpu/mobo/ram.

If you are looking at a cpu upgrade, look at current gen intel or ryzen 3000.
They are indeed marvelous for multithreaded apps.
I am in the wait and see mode on the new 3000 series and X570 chipsets.
One can expect bios updates to fix what is usually minor glitches.
Such a cpu upgrade will also require a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

Another option is to upgrade your processor on your current motherboard.
This will entail a used processor, the strongest compatible cpu for your motherboard is a i7-7700K.

8gb for dedicated gaming is usually enough.
A 2 x 8gb ram upgrade kit may well be needed.

Jul 15, 2019
I do several virus scans a day, there are no viruses. The funky things are randomly turning off, really loud fan occasionally that sounds like a fudging rocket launching off and then annoying things like it freezing randomly.

Jul 15, 2019
First of all, what might have changed to make the pc do "funky things"
And what does funky things mean?
It is unlikely that the builder made any mistakes since it ran well at first.
I might suspect malware or perhaps a virus.

I might guess that this is a gaming build because of the 970 graphics.
In what way is this pc not doing the job for you?

The usual limiting factor for a gamer is the graphics card.
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

A decent graphics upgrade might be a GTX1660/ti, about $200-$300.
That is an easy upgrade that can be carried forward to a new cpu/mobo/ram.

If you are looking at a cpu upgrade, look at current gen intel or ryzen 3000.
They are indeed marvelous for multithreaded apps.
I am in the wait and see mode on the new 3000 series and X570 chipsets.
One can expect bios updates to fix what is usually minor glitches.
Such a cpu upgrade will also require a new motherboard and ddr4 ram.

Another option is to upgrade your processor on your current motherboard.
This will entail a used processor, the strongest compatible cpu for your motherboard is a i7-7700K.

8gb for dedicated gaming is usually enough.
A 2 x 8gb ram upgrade kit may well be needed.

What would be a new motherboard, cpu, and ram you'd recommend? And what GPU if you feel I need a new one?

Used i7-6700K is @$230 or more. What you probably saw for $130 are Engineering Samples. While you could buy those, they are illegal to buy or sell.

The funky things are randomly turning off, really loud fan occasionally that sounds like a fudging rocket launching off and then annoying things like it freezing randomly.
That would make me suspect improper cpu cooling and some issue with PSU.
Possibly also too much dust in the system, haven't been cleaned up for some time.

So .. get a better cpu cooler, new high quality PSU and maybe better pc case.

Solution