[SOLVED] Creating a new Windows 11 PC from an existing Windows 10 PC

Sig_Dude

Prominent
Dec 18, 2021
If I use an existing Windows 10 PC to create a bootable Windows 11 install USB flash drive, then use that USB flash drive to install Windows 11 on a new build, will both PCs run simultaneously?

Thanks.

Solution
If I use an existing Windows 10 PC to create a bootable Windows 11 install USB flash drive, then use that USB flash drive to install Windows 11 on a new build, will both PCs run simultaneously?

Thanks.
The USB flash drive you create has nothing to do with the OS on the system.
Yes, both systems would run just fine.

The only condition would be that you can't use the Win 10 license to activate the Win 11 install.
You have one license...you get to use it on one system.

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks.
The USB flash drive you create has nothing to do with the OS on the system.
Yes, both systems would run just fine.

The only condition would be that you can't use the Win 10 license to activate the Win 11 install.
You have one license...you get to use it on one system.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, got it. Thanks.

Just out of curiosity, does ANYBODY pay for Windows 11?
If you purchase a new prebuilt system, it is built into the price.
Currently, Microsoft is not selling standalone WIn 11 yet. They will in the coming months.

If you have a current Win 7/8/8.1/10 license, you can upgrade that license to 11, free. Of course, the original license would then be null and void. You don't get to use both.

USAFRet

Titan
Ah, so I assume if I use the Windows 10 product key to activate the Windows 11 PC, it'll brick the Windows 10 PC?
It won't brick it.
But that system WILL then be unactivated.

Win 10, and I think Win 11, will run Unactivated, seemingly forever. I have a Win 10 Pro installed in a VM to test exactly this.
First stood up on Dec 8, 2016. Never reinstalled, still running just like day 1.
The limitations are no customization of the Taskbar and background, and a randomly appearing watermark at bottom right.

See this about applying that existing license to new hardware:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change