Question Creating an image of Windows Server 2019 and recovering it to new SSDs in RAID1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2023
Hi all,

I need help with moving an existing Windows Server 2019 to two new SSDs which will be in RAID1.

Our company has a server which has two SSDs in RAID 1. One of the SSDs died and RAID1 is now degraded. Now we have 2 new SSDs which will replace existing ones. What is the best way to get an image and recover it to newly created RAID1?
I already tried using Acronis but it just won't boot into Acronis (server has no secure boot option so it doesn't have to do anything with BIOS settings).

I'm a junior and have to fix this issue ASAP. Currently there is no senior in the company to help me.

USAFRet

Titan
The RAID array is reporting as "degraded", because it is now on only one drive.
This is as it should be.

Swap in a new drive to replace the dead one, and let the array rebuild itself.

Question - You DO have a known good backup of the entire contents of this array, right?

Jan 19, 2023
The RAID array is reporting as "degraded", because it is now on only one drive.
This is as it should be.

Swap in a new drive to replace the dead one, and let the array rebuild itself.

Question - You DO have a known good backup of the entire contents of this array, right?
Hi, thanks for the quick answer but you didn't understand what I need to do.
We bought two new SSDs which are not similar to the old ones. I have to replace both of the old SSD drives not just replacing one of them.
Just rebeuilding the array is not an option here.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi, thanks for the quick answer but you didn't understand what I need to do.
We bought two new SSDs which are not similar to the old ones. I have to replace both of the old SSD drives not just replacing one of them.
Just rebeuilding the array is not an option here.
Yes I did understand.

And I strongly suggest you rebuild the array first, then do an Image or whatever, then apply that Image to the new drives.

And as asked...you already have a good full drive backup of this?

Jan 19, 2023
Yes I did understand.

And I strongly suggest you rebuild the array first, then do an Image or whatever, then apply that Image to the new drives.

And as asked...you already have a good full drive backup of this?
Ok, I see you didn't read my question very well. I need an explanation on how to create an image and recover it since the tools I used before don't work on our current server. And no, we don't have a full drive copy because I work in a company that is currently a big mess and I'm trying to replace a senior system engeneer and senior sysadmin and my position is Junior Sysadmin. I need answers that are more clear then "Create an image and that's it.".

USAFRet

Titan
What drives are involved here?
Both old and new.

How much data is consumed in this current array?

Is the operating system (Server 2019) in this RAID 1 array?

Hardware RAID or software? Details, please, on exactly how this RAID was instantiated.

Jan 19, 2023
What drives are involved here?
Both old and new.

How much data is consumed in this current array?

Is the operating system (Server 2019) in this RAID 1 array?
Currently inside the server 2 DoM SSDs are installed. I cant tell you more info on old and new SSDs like manufacturer and part number. In the current array about 50 gb is consumed. New SSDs have more than enough capacity for that.

Server 2019 is in the current RAID 1 array.

Jan 19, 2023
If you're out of your depth and don't have a complete backup, get a professional in. If you lose everything on the degraded array, will you still have a job?
Well, since the company doesn't have anyone else to replace me and I'm not living in US, risk of losing my job is incredibly low.

USAFRet

Titan
Well, since the company doesn't have anyone else to replace me and I'm not living in US, risk of losing my job is incredibly low.
Everyone is replaceable.

We are trying to guide you in the best way of getting this back up and running.

First, rebuild the array, with another similar drive as the existing one.

Then we can talk about backing up the whole thing, and moving it to the 2 new drives, and all that entails.

Or, you could ignore the advce of people who have been doing this for years, and are attempting to help you for free.

Jan 19, 2023
Everyone is replaceable.

We are trying to guide you in the best way of getting this back up and running.

First, rebuild the array, with another similar drive as the existing one.

Then we can talk about backing up the whole thing, and moving it to the 2 new drives, and all that entails.

Or, you could ignore the advce of people who have been doing this for years, and are attempting to help you for free.
As I said previously, rebuilding the array is not an option because I don't have similar drives, those are old DoM SSD drives which can't be bought anymore.

Sorry but I just can't chit chat here to get an answer for this, I don't know why is it so hard to give an answer or an advice on how to properly image a disk and which tools to use ( this is literally all I'm asking).

This issue has to be resolved on monday, I don't have time to go back and forth with you for creating an image of a disk.

Thanks for trying to help me but looks like I will have to find an answer somewhere else.

And you're going to get the same answers elsewhere. You're being given exactly what is needed to do the job, properly, by someone with many years in the business. You simply do not have the necessary knowledge and/or experience to be doing this job yourself. I wish your employer good luck as I see a full loss of data in their future here.

Jan 19, 2023
And you're going to get the same answers elsewhere. You're being given exactly what is needed to do the job, properly, by someone with many years in the business. You simply do not have the necessary knowledge and/or experience to be doing this job yourself. I wish your employer good luck as I see a full loss of data in their future here.
Thanks for all answers unrelated to this thread. This was a good experience to see which forums to avoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS