Creating Boot Drive

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014
I just want to make sure I have the steps down correctly. So im gonna install the boot drive into the computer, then im gonna make sure my computer recognizes it. Then I'm going to create an ISO of windows 10 and put it on a flash drive or DVD. From there is when i have my question. When I restart the computer, will it prompt which drive I want to put the Windows on? Because I dont want to do a clean install on my HDD. Just want to make a SSD boot drive

Solution
That can be done. Just select the SSD as the boot drive when you install the OS again from the flash drive. Have you checked the BIOS? Motherboard manuals can also be referenced.

George Phillips

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Assuming that all drives don't have any preexisting and working OS on them, the BIOS of the motherboard will boot the system from the bootable USB flash drive with Windows 10. After the installation process starts, you will have the chance to select and configure which drive you want the new OS to be.

In any motherboard, there is a list of boot order you can choose. You may also manually set the bootable USB drive as the highest priority, so it will always boot from the flash drive instead of any other drive that already had a bootable OS.

BlackDeth55

Reputable
May 21, 2014

My current HDD has Windows 10 on it currently. It has around 300 GB of stuff on it. I want to put Windows 10 on the SSD and use it as a boot drive