Creating bootable SSD RAID on ASUS P9X79 fail

superfly4

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015
I have been trying to move from a single ssd c: to a dual raid1. Moved the win8.1 to a normal disk, maid i bootable, all OK. Configured the Marvell 2 ports as a raid 1 disk and moved the OS back to the RAID. Then Win crashes wit error 0xc000021a. Any idea? Is it possible att all?

Solution
You can forget the second parameter "StartOverride".
I recommend to change the connectotion for the SSD or HDD, because the SSD will work better under the intel SATA poets, the MB has 2X SATAIII + 4X SATAII.
1) put the 2 SSDs into the SATAIII, the HDD into the SATAII, make sure you boot from the HDD with win8.1 ( change the boot oder in the BIOS) . You need install the intel RST driver ( iata_enu.exe) from intel site. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22194
2) After install that driver, boot the PC ( still under the HDD) go into the BIOS to set the storage mode to raid, reboot the PC, and press "Ctrl" + "I" to set the raid1 for SSD.
3) Reboot the PC into the safe mode by press "F8". In the registry...

superfly4

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

Sorry, I should have been more specific... newbee :)
Anyway, it a P9X79 Delux with a MarwellSata 6.0 Gb chip

superfly4

Reputable
Jan 25, 2015

Hi. I did a quick check in the registry (according to the instrucktion in your answer) (without making any changes) and the first value Error control entry is indeed "3". I cant find the second parameter "StartOverride" ..

To give you a little bit more info:
I did have win 8.1 on a ssd drive .
With Paragon software I created a bootable clone on E: I rebooted and the PC came up using the image on E: ( a normal disk)
The I added my second ssd disk (both on the marwell controller), made a raid 1 volyme and the booted, move win8 from E: to the new raid:ed ssd disk. Shut down and reboot. Now comes the error 0xc000021a.
I did not load any other drivers or anything else during this operation. Maybe I should.. I don't know ;-(
Now I have disabled the raided pair of ssd and the I can boot on the old hard disk (not ssd).
When looking in the BIOS I cant see the (Marwell) SSD-disk's in the boot set up part....?
I have made something wrong but I dont know how to fix it.
Of cource I can alwas go back to have a single ssd boot disk on the Intel controler but that was not what I was aiming for. Iäm doing all this to get better security and keep downtime short when C: finally crashes...
I'm thankful for your input.
Regards
Lennart

You can forget the second parameter "StartOverride".
I recommend to change the connectotion for the SSD or HDD, because the SSD will work better under the intel SATA poets, the MB has 2X SATAIII + 4X SATAII.
1) put the 2 SSDs into the SATAIII, the HDD into the SATAII, make sure you boot from the HDD with win8.1 ( change the boot oder in the BIOS) . You need install the intel RST driver ( iata_enu.exe) from intel site. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22194
2) After install that driver, boot the PC ( still under the HDD) go into the BIOS to set the storage mode to raid, reboot the PC, and press "Ctrl" + "I" to set the raid1 for SSD.
3) Reboot the PC into the safe mode by press "F8". In the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\iaStorv or iaStorV, make sure the value is "0". If you use the intel sata port, if you use the marvell, check the name like mvs92xx something like that, but you have to install the marvell sata driver.
4) Reboot the PC, make the cloning.
5) After cloning, go into the BIOS, change the boot order to the raid, reboot, and you should be able to use the raid.

Or you can even use the raid like in the link too. ( win8.1 is same the win7) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKDCmOBqNBY then make the cloning.

Or even you do not need any cloning because the win8.1 is in the SSD, you just install the intel RST, and change to raid mode in the BIOS open the intel RST, change the registry, then make the raid , you need make sure to check the "keep the data" when you set the raid, here is one of video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmLt4W-F3Ww

Solution