Creating replacement PSU to GPU cable with wiring trouble...

ketchuppopsicle

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018
I'll get the hardware out of the way.

EVGA Geforce GTX 960 SSC
Seasonic SS-750KM3

DARKSIDE cable that I bought
https://www.amazon.com/Darkside-8-Pin-Single-Braid-Extension/dp/B0747TW61B/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1517383603&sr=8-2&keywords=darkside+8+pin

Predicament...

After doing a heap of wire management in my mid tower, I decided I wanted to get rid of the 24" 6-pin to 6+2-pin PSU to GPU cable that Seasonic supplied and I ordered the DARKSIDE cable as a replacement. I quickly found out that because the DARKSIDE cable is an extension cable, it cannot be used as a PSU to GPU cable because one end has male pins and the other has female pins, let alone the fact that the orientation of the pins are probably different from Seasonic's supplied cable.

I would go through the different trials and errors of how I orientated the pins and getting the PC to power on, NOT getting the PC to turn on, and getting it to turn on but receiving an error message saying "Please power down and give PCI power to graphics card."

Joe over at moddiy has shown me a couple diagrams but I just cannot make it out for the life of me, really confusing...

Can I turn this DARKSIDE cable into a functional one, and how should I go about orientating the pins?

Can I avoid that +2 loop portion that my Seasonic cable has?

Halp, please! I appreciate any tips and advice for this, it's driving me bonkers!

Don't do that - no experimenting. Be absolutely sure about, what you're doing. Voltage tester is necessary to avoid disastrous mistakes.
If you connect those cables wrong, you'll kill your hardware - GPU an possibly motherboard also.

ketchuppopsicle

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

I've considered this but I think I technically have the cable I need but just need them wired correctly, no sense in spending $100 on cables I don't need.

ketchuppopsicle

Prominent
Jan 31, 2018

I actually went through this process. I got that message after turning the DARKSIDE cable into a 6-pin to 6-pin. But my GPU needs 8-pin power.