Creating two separate networks from one router/modem

Aug 14, 2018
My current situation is trying to setup two networks for a small business (one network for staff/business and one for tenants living above the office). Obviously these two networks shouldn't be seen to each other (e.g. tenants can't use the shared office printer, etc) so security is pretty important, however it seems overkill to pay out an ISP for a new line, broadband connection and callout charges.

So I'm looking at trying to utilise the current broadband line and router to provide the tenants and staff with their own network where all they have to do is connect to an SSID etc with minimum complexity.

I've been exploring different options for this and it seems that the common methods are: Cascading routers, Making a VLAN, WAN or guest network.

The current setup is just a BT smart hub, there's no fancy modem/switch/router unfortunately.

From my understanding you can connect a secondary router to the primary router, configure it onto a a different sub network and all should work?

I'm welcome to any suggestions!

Buying a router that supports vlan will do it. edge routers are $50-100.
You create both vlan, setup separate dhcp subnets on two interfaces/ports, create firewall rules to not allow in from the other interface. put the management page on your subnet. equipment should be locked up.
connect each subnet to a separate switch and run APs off that switch for wifi.

if the spaces are close enough to share APs you can use trunking so that one wire can carry multiple subnets. unifi AP. the setup will be slightly different. another interface must be used for trunking/tagging and vlans are also setup on the AP with the same numbers.

TRENDING THREADS