Creating Windows 8 DVD, boot, how?

emtr

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I have MSI GT70 with Windows 8. I have the OEM key. I found an ISO of that windows from Oct 2012 and I want to do a clean installation. The plan is to wipe out all factory settings, recovery partitions and stuff and recreate all I need myself - that means creating SSD and HDD partitions out of these two hard drives I have on it with a reinstall, using only the applications I need.

Win 8 installation is quite a headache, unlike previous ones'. So I have DVD+RW, I created (supposedly) a DVD using Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool. The thing is, after failing to burn it twice, the 3rd time it reached 100%.

Then what? How do I boot like previous windows, I read something about UEFI and booting from it to be able to create partitions in SSD, not sure if that was the case, but is there a step by step explanation?

emtr

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

I have another question (I am already aware of the steps you posted) - it is about how to boot setup from USB, Win 8 always starts normally.

Do I need to go to PC Settings > Advanced > Troubleshooting > Startup or somewhere else?

Or where else? On old laptops I just need to press F10 and there is an option boot from USB/disk. On this laptop, windows 8 and uefi if uefi is used, it has the PC settings when you click your profile picture and chosoe Change PC settings, or do I need to enter some bios from the restart? How do you proceed with booting once you have made a bootable flash drive Windows 8 for clean install?

Because you want to clean install win8, just go to turn on the pc, go to the bios to set the 1st boot device. Then to do the installation.
Before install the win8, you need go to the bios set the EFI USB Drive for the 1st boot device. After done the installation, you need change the 1st boot device back to either EFI CD/DVD or HDD.

You will not be able to reinstall Windows 8 from a retail disk using the OEM key that came with your machine. It will not activate. If you wish to install Windows 8 from a retail copy, you must buy a seperate license and use that key.

Make sure that you also create a recovery disk (and check the option in the Recovery disk wizard to duplicate the recovery partition) so that if you ever do go back to the factory image, you will not have to contact MSI for a set of physical media to restore the image from. Most OEM's charge you to send these disks out, so do think carefully before wiping out the recovery partition.

emtr

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Okay, I've asked in other places already - the OEM key should work when it is the same windows edition, and no, I do not want to keep any recovery or factory settings, this is the idea - to get rid of them and do it all myself, I never used factory or recovery partitions in the past - never kept it, never had problems due to not having some partitions that waste space! When I say full install, that's the meaning - erase all, I'd rather get a new license than keep factory settings or partition

The Windows 8 edition doesn't matter. The disk is coded to accept certain keys. If you attempt to use an OEM key on a retail disk or vice versa, it won't activate. I have actually tried this on several systems (retail disk with OEM key) and it failed every single time. I had to restore the system using the recovery disks I made for each one beforehand.

emtr

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

WRONG.

I just made what I've been trying to make - Win 8 clean installation and it says product is activated, using my in-built OEM key... At least the Win 8 x64 build 915440, whichever it is (not sure if retail) does that well.

I question the legitimacy of that disk. The only real build number of Windows 8 is 6.2.9200 (regardless of whether you install from an OEM factory image, or a retail disk bought separately). The one you posted sounds like a pirated disk, and if that's the case, you haven't proved me anything. Especially not wrong.

emtr

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
^ The numbers you provided are the Windows 8 version, it has nothing to do with the numbers I provided which are the numbers of the ISO that you get from Microsoft download. Also I've got several responses in eight forums that the OEM in-built key is automatically detected - I tested it and that's exactly what happen, mine is more than just an opinion. It's a fact. The build I am talking about is from Oct 2012. It is RTM version of Windows 8 x64.

So let's not confuse people with answers such as 'No you need a new license' when other people tell you and I tested that RTM version as long as the same and not for example Pro, Enterprise or some other, does detect your key... I am talking about ACTIVATION, downloading from MS website does require a key other than the OEM and general key, though. To download from their site you need a retail key but for activation once you have the ISO, it is activated as per your OEM key attached to your hardware and Windows 8 account...

Curious. Not had to re-install an OEM version yet, do you need an OEM version of the installation media? i.e. the Upgrade/Retail disks wouldn't find the embedded Product key? If so, where do you obtain the OEM version from? Can the keyfinders discover the embedded key? (Would it work wth the Upgrade/Retail versions which ask for the key during install?) I do know that the Upgrade Version can be clean installed by Refreshing Windows immediately after installing to activate...

emtr

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

If you want to download the ISO from Microsoft site, you know with Win 8 setup that redirects you to their site, only retail key will work. If you try a generic or OEM key, it will not work or tell you 'Cannot connect'. The ISO of Win 8 x64 build 915440 is original one.

Claims such as 'pirated' or cracked are out of the question - it's like some friend with original retail key (not OEM) downloaded an ISO from Microsoft, shared it - does that make it cracked only because it's not from MS site and he shared it in another place? No!

So what I used was, this RTM version of Windows x64 from Oct 29 2012. As long as it is the same version - Windows 8 and not Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise, it should detect your key.

I was never asked to insert a key during the installation, I think that appeared on older Windows (XP, Vista, 7), basically when you install Windows 8 - having created your Windows account the first time you ran your laptop, it just grabs the OEM key and Windows status is: ACTIVATED.

Yes, you can use any software to grab your OEM key, I thought I would need to insert it so I grabbed it with Belarc Advisor software - I then compared the key and it was activated. Ask anyone at EightForums and you will see they will tell you with the SAME EDITION of Windows, it should detect your key - so if you are Win 8 Pro. it won't work most likley but if your laptop comes with Windows 8 OEM Key and you want to install Windows 8 (not pro) from some ISO, it should automatically detect without you having to insert anything.