creative but stubborn computer (ASUS) chooses own desktop and icons

Asturgal

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
how to restore icons to start menu I follow instructions but nothing happens
2 days ago computer changed desktop and several other things, task bar, etc.

Solution
Did you get any errors about the profile not being able to be loaded? Did you reboot since this happened and same thing? Right-click on the taskbar, click Customize and select to restore defaults at the bottom. Do the same thing for the Start Menu tab, click Customize and select to restore defaults.

If you don't see any programs on your Start menu, it can happen if the profile gets corrupt, does not load properly, or a virus changes things to hidden or changes user rights.

Asturgal

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Did complete Kaspersky scan of computer -- no threats detected. Not sure what you mean by playing with options - I'm pretty tech challenged. Can't do pic but don't think it would help. The other night I shut down computer - all well. Next day when I booted up my desktop was animated ASUS computer image, my desktop icons all moved to left of screen. No icons on start menu only the list, as always on the right side "box". I've followed instructions to pin icons to start menu and nothing happens. I open list of all programs,pick one, click it's icon (ex. Google) choose "pin to start menu" and nothing happens. I've disabled all extensions, tried other stuff found in help site but start menu still "nude". I was able to put up new desktop photo from my own but the list of photos I've used for this is gone on Control Panel site. It only shows me themes and one original personal photo from when I first bought computer. Been thinking I should try a restore but almost afraid I might lose something important. I did do a cleanup with CCleaner, can't seem to access Windows cleanup stuff. HELP!

Did you get any errors about the profile not being able to be loaded? Did you reboot since this happened and same thing? Right-click on the taskbar, click Customize and select to restore defaults at the bottom. Do the same thing for the Start Menu tab, click Customize and select to restore defaults.

If you don't see any programs on your Start menu, it can happen if the profile gets corrupt, does not load properly, or a virus changes things to hidden or changes user rights.

Solution

Asturgal

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

No error messages. Tried Customize for both Start Menu and taskbar, did reboot, no luck. You are probably right about corrupt profile - I guess I can live with it if nothing else goes wrong. I'm going to talk to a techie friend here and see what he thinks. Thanks for your help.