Creative Dxr3 vs. Radeon 9200SE

alex

Does the Radeon 9200SE do hardware or software based DVD decoding? I
recently bought a 9200SE on eBay and find that it consumes more CPU
resources during DVD playback than my trusty old Creative Dxr3. I am
missing something? Should I pop the Dxr3 back in my system?

Thanks!
Alex

"Alex" <alex@hts.com> wrote in message
> Does the Radeon 9200SE do hardware or software based DVD decoding?

DXR3 is totally hardward based, so it won't use your CPU and you have to
install the particular driver (Creative or the better Sigma). Even that your
CPU is original Penitum 100 is ok. (I converted many old computers to DVD
players this way.)

Radeon is said to be "hardware assisted" but it is software based and need a
lot of CPU cycles. Need Pentium III or better.

alex

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in

> "Alex" <alex@hts.com> wrote in message
>> Does the Radeon 9200SE do hardware or software based DVD decoding?
>
> DXR3 is totally hardward based, so it won't use your CPU and you have
> to install the particular driver (Creative or the better Sigma). Even
> that your CPU is original Penitum 100 is ok. (I converted many old
> computers to DVD players this way.)
>
> Radeon is said to be "hardware assisted" but it is software based and
> need a lot of CPU cycles. Need Pentium III or better.

Thanks, that's what I thought. I guess when ATI says that the 9200SE has
"integrated MPEG-2 decode including iDCT and motion compensation for top
quality DVD with lowest CPU usage," they mean that they include a CD with
CyberLink's software-based decoder.

I put the Dxr3 back in and now there is very little load on my processor.

Alex