Creative or Terratec?

_Ace_

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Ok, now Im lost and dunno what to shoose! I do both music and gaming and according to a review here they both are good at different things... Creative's with gaming and Terratec for music... I was set in to shoose Creative's (since it kinda felt that creative is #1), but then I heard all those negative things about creative's and also when I compared ppl said to pick Terratec's. So, I would REALLY like comments and ideas on this! (Preferbly also that you are not affected by the above mentioned :) ) What to pick? Why? Works good with games? Things like that. Answer to "What would you pick if you had to shoose and why?"

And the ones I cant shooes from are:

Creative SoundBlaster Audigy2 Platinum Retail PCI $211
Terratec DMX 6Fire 24/96 Retail PCI $234

Thanks,
Ace

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
If you ONLY have those two to choose from, I suggest you go with Creative. I know it's heresay, but for the gaming aspect Terratec just doesn't cut it. Neither does Creative, but it's the better of the two.

Personally, I would have said a Guillemot Fortissimo III or an M-Audio Revolution 7.1. Both would be better alternatives.

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I do not agree with you. Creative will be fine with games. I do not think any game manufacturer will publish games that does not work with one of most popular sound card on the market.

umheint0

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2003
This is from my experience. Creative seems to be over-priced and under-powered for what they claim to be able to do. They charge for a ferrari, and all you get is a corvette. If you want a corvette in the first place, then why not pay what it's worth?

XP 2500+ Barton
A7N8X Dlx
2x512MB Corsair PC3200
ATI 9700 Pro
16x DVD-ROM
2x80GB 7200RPM Maxtor
Onboard audio

jheine

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
Really the question is "What is more important to me, games or music?" If it were me, I'd choose the Terratec, but music is way more important to me than games.

Jarrett

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new"><b><font color=red>Join The THGC Music Project</font color=red></b></A>

Gearjammer

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Just saw Creative audigy 2 on sale at Best Buy for 89.99.I have the non Platinum version and I love it.I know there maybe better cards out there but I only use my rig for gaming and not music,so I wanted a card that would be compatible with all future games.People rip Creative but I havent had any problems with the card. I bought a Philips seimic edge and that card truly sucked.No driver support.I used to have a Diamond monster MX400, which was underrated, but went to Audigy when I upgraded to XP