Creative Reveals Multi-Core Sound Processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Have a feeling we'll be seeing these in Gigabyte's next version of their G1-Killer boards.

Anyway, its cool, but not really necessary if you ask me.

erichoyt

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Meh...Does this really affect your average gamer? I'm running a Klipsh 2.1 (awesome) on standard Intel MoBo driver...

G

likely will require bloated software that will take years to stabilize. . .

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
I agree with erichoyt. Didn't MS remove hardware acceleration for audio since Vista (I still have not figured out why they did that)? Also the MSRP for discrete audio cards is way too high for what they are worth IMO.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]broadleaf35[/nom]likely will require bloated software that will take years to stabilize. . .[/citation]

QFT, I'm sure it'll be plagued by crappy drivers.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]erichoyt[/nom]Meh...Does this really affect your average gamer? I'm running a Klipsh 2.1 (awesome) on standard Intel MoBo driver...[/citation]

Not necessary, but it's nice to have. Believe me, there is a difference between the onboard with good enough sound compared to something like this. Try one before commenting, you'll need some decent speakers to go along with it too. Besides, even though I don't have a soundcard like this, I have some decent headphones that make gaming easier as I can tell which direction someone is coming from. With a 5.1 setup and a card like this you would be blown away.

Harby

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]erichoyt[/nom]Meh...Does this really affect your average gamer? I'm running a Klipsh 2.1 (awesome) on standard Intel MoBo driver...[/citation]

Yes, a dedicated soundcard does affect your average gamer. Since you're running decent speakers you're killing them driving them off the horrible realtek or w/e onboard soundcard.

dioxholster

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
@erichoyt,

from my experience those sound cards do make the sound better, and with good speakers like klipsh you will notice the difference right away. i dont know the science behind it but for some unknown reason they sound better.

dgingeri

Distinguished
oh, great, an even more expensive way to make your system crash. I'm certainly not buying it.

I gave CL a slight chance to screw me over and crash my system when I bought a motherboard with "X-Fi MB2" sound, which turned out to be Creative software on a Realtek sound chip. Lo and behold, they did not disappoint, and it crashed my system every day. I uninstall the CL software and it works just fine. I got the same thing out of the last 2 sound cards I bought from them (the last one being over 5 years ago) and they certainly slacked in the support area.

I hope this card flops and finally puts that stupid company under.

caqde

Distinguished
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]I agree with erichoyt. Didn't MS remove hardware acceleration for audio since Vista (I still have not figured out why they did that)? Also the MSRP for discrete audio cards is way too high for what they are worth IMO.[/citation]

Yes they removed Acceleration from their DirectX API, but they did not remove the ability to use Hardware acceleration through API's like OpenAL it is still possible to access the hardware through code in Windows Vista and 7. It is just that Microsoft removed the well known legacy way of doing so through DirectSound3d that alot of old and still played games use and even some recent (last 3 years) games.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I have been a big creative fan for many years. Man their drivers are awful though. You have to be very careful to get a clean install or just forget using it.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
While the early X-Fi drivers blew chunks, I cant say I've had a single crash due to the XFi in a looong time. You could also blame the complete redesign of the driver architecture for Vista as well in those early problems.

And yeah, you can definitely hear a difference in sound quality between onboard and standalone cards like X-Fi even just listening to mp3s.

Humans think

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I recently used my old P4 2.4 running Win XP and a modest CL Live 5.1 soundcard and it sounded a lot better than my current system, it seemed like I had forgotten how good music could be. Using an analog amplifier with a pair of BOSE speakers the difference was overwhelming. Just my experience on the matter.

Still the approach of CL in embeddable chips is a good marketing idea but it was sad to see 3 hype words in one sentence "core", "3D" and "multi-core". Are they so desperate nowadays?

The only thing that I didn't like from CL was that they somehow "throttled" the capabilities of old hardware via drivers...

Just don't do any "SE", "LE" crappy cards, PLEASE Creative, PLEASE.

It has been a long time since anything new to the table, Creative, was about time. Kudos for the new design; let's see how it compares to the current X-FI I currently own.

Cheers!

ruga

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
Wish http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/ jumps right in to support it, so we don´t need creative´s buggy drivers

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
would love to see a double blind study on sound quality upgrading from a good, but 4 year old sound card to this new sound card, using the same speakers. I really doubt anyone could tell a difference. I doubt most people could even tell the difference using a ten year old sound card and the same speakers.

mediv42

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
I'm sure when people buy an expensive sound card, they will believe they can hear a difference between that and their older sound card, but I kind of doubt it unless their speakers changed too.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]dioxholster[/nom]@erichoyt,from my experience those sound cards do make the sound better, and with good speakers like klipsh you will notice the difference right away. i dont know the science behind it but for some unknown reason they sound better.[/citation]

Sound card only makes a difference....if the drivers are stable.. Which isn't exactly something Creative has ever been known for...

[citation][nom]wannaturnuptheheat[/nom]I find it so cute that Creative is trying to keep soundcards relevant.[/citation]

there still better than the el cheapo sound chips that are on evey mobo. my HT omega striker can whip any onbord sound chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS