Question Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion

Sep 27, 2024
I never had a problem with this sound card until a few months ago. On cold start up, the card would make a buzzing noise and the red light on the card would flicker intensely. After about a minute or two, the card would stop buzzing and the light would stop flickering. I figured when the card warmed up everything straightened out. so I took the hair dryer and focused the hot air through the case holes. I did this for 30 seconds and then started the computer. The sound card started right up...no problems. Sometimes after being idle for hours, the card stops working. I reinstall the drivers and it works again. This was my build from years ago. I have an Asus P9X79 Pro MB, Intel 3930X Processor, 5.1 Altec Lansing Speakers, 32gb Corsair 2133 Memory and the latest bios for the MB. I am running Windows 10 Pro. Is there some little chip on the card that is having a problem? Blowing hot air to heat up the card works. Any help is appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

On cold start up, the card would make a buzzing noise and the red light on the card would flicker intensely.
Seems to me like a power delivery area of your sound card is compromised.

This was my build from years ago. I have an Asus P9X79 Pro MB, Intel 3930X Processor, 5.1 Altec Lansing Speakers, 32gb Corsair 2133 Memory and the latest bios for the MB. I am running Windows 10 Pro.
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Is there some little chip on the card that is having a problem?
Since heating the card helps, you could reball and resolder the components but at this stage of the component's life and given how the drivers for that card won't be updated, I'd retire it without spending any money on repairing it(which to me might be a pretty penny if you went to a certified technician who can solder/reball your coundcard).