Creative Sound BlasterX H5 Gaming Headset Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I have the newest HyperX Cloud Alpha Models here. They are already in my pipeline. The older HyperX Cloud is EOL. :)
But all this pieces are based on the same Takstar platform, modified.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
What did you prefer? A cheap USB-audio solution with an 50 Cent C-Media chip inside, pseudo 7.1 and a hyper-mega-dragon-gaming plastic design? :)

The mic is very comfortable.

clarkx100

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Are those the same style ear pieces as the HyperX Cloud? The mic went out in mine and i'm looking for a good replacement but I haven't found anything nearly as comfortable as those yet and I want to try something different instead of just ordering a Cloud II

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
They are super-comfortable. The newer model H5 Tournament Edition is giving you a little but more bass, but the mechanic is the same. The ear pads are super-soft and in direct comparison the the latest HypeX Cloud Alpha a tick better. :)

I was encouraged by the frequency response graph - first time I've seen a decent one on a headset. I just got mine and I must say that they sound like mud compared to my usual AKG K701 monitors, but I'll let them burn in for a few days and check back in.
My focus is a little different - I listen to baroque music, I was an audiophile before I lost my hearing about 12khz. The idea of something I can use to listen to music while I work and switch to the phone on the same headset somehow tempts me. Despite the trivial amount of effort involved in taking off my headphones and picking up the phone.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I'm 54 and testing my ears monthly. Very good 14 Khz are the follow of "saving" my natural resources over the years. ;)
The AKG K701 costs here 100% more and it is an excellent headphone for the money, but totally open. They fits also very good and it is always a recommendation worth. Only the deeper freqs below 200 Hz are totaly underpowered.

Which H5 you bought? First revision or the Tournament Edition?

The box says "pro gaming."
I've always preferred the sound of open cans and as close to absolute clarity as I can get. My Sennheiser 650s get almost no use. The 497s, on the other hand, were the greatest thing since sliced bread while they lasted.
I'm a few years older and I have tinnitus instead of high-frequency hearing. It has put quite a dent in my listening; for example, I can no longer identify what used to be my favorite recording of the Brandenburg Concerto number 5. On the plus side, I can now buy cheaper equipment.

It's the clear plastic circular thing with some disassembly required to get at the parts. Which is the newer version, the paper box or the clear plastic thing?

Oh - my favorite toy used to be Ray Samuel's Predator portable DAC and headphone amp. Made a huge difference until Sandisk came out with the Sansa Clip. That little thing has both clarity (on hi-res files) and power that astonished me. Etymotic 6 didn't need an amp at all, and the Clip can actually push the AKGs without sounding labored.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
The paper box is newer. The H5 needs time to perform better. It's not real Hi-Fi, but better than the most of all of this so-called gaming headsets. :D
I'm using two different Amps for my headphones, especially the Beyerdynamics T90 with his 250 ohms needs a good amp. Nothing for a smartphone or PC-onboard :D

An interim report. Just a few hours of burn (without listening) has cleared some of the worst of the mud (especially it being inconsistent across frequencies), but they are still definitely playing elevator music instead of being at a chamber concert.

I didn't used to believe in burn-in. Then I didn't believe in burn-in for purely electronic parts. Then a week of continuous operation of my Predator made a noticeable difference, from great to amazing.

Decent sound. Not distorted, fairly accurate, not quite as "present" as my studio monitors.
I gave in to temptation and ordered a Massdrop of the Sennheiser PC37X. My spouse will murderize me for spending yet more on cans.

Well, they are Sennheisers. I've been a fan of Sennheiser's clear sound since the 414s, back in the 70s. Yes, Sennheiser makes some cans that are less wonderful, or targeted to a modern lo-res, bass-heavy audience. OTOH they produced the 497, one of the two legendary under-$100 headphones for audiophiles.

After listening to these for a few days I can tell them from my go-to headphones, but they are pretty darn good. They are open enough that I get the benefit of the open sound that my ears prefer. My biggest issue at the moment is that they squeeze my head too darn hard.

Get a pair from Massdrop and let me know what you think - write a review!

Status
Not open for further replies.