Creative sound card And PC game 3-D sound

stringcheesy

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I have a system running Windows 7 32-bit with a Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional Series sound card.

When I play the games Diablo 2 and Guild Wars, even though they are old games, I cannot enable 3-D sound for the game; the option in game is greyed out.

I have 5.1 PC surround speakers, but cannot enable 3-D in game ( though I know this has nothing to do with the initial enabling of the 3-D sound.)

Is this an issue with old game vs. newer card, or is it an issue with the type of card and EAX 3-D in games with Windows 7, or is it just an old game vs. windows 7?

Thank you for any and all input here.

PS.

Though this is not for this section of the forums, I am also having issues with the video on Diablo 2.

It seems to be running very choppy, and I am using an XFX video card: GF 8800GT 600M 512MB DDR3 DUAL DVITVPCIE

If you have input for this issue please let me know.

thefivetheory

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Try using Creative's ALchemy software and see if that helps (both games are listed in the list here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/alchemy/Lists/Games/AllItems.aspx). At the very least, this should give you EAX effects (emulated via OpenAL), and possibly may fix your lack of 3D sound.

pheesh

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Other than your sound card being an overkill (not a problem of course, since it's awesome for all types of games. I'm actually envy of you :bounce: ).
my guess would be drivers issue.

I'd suggest running diablo in compatibility mode for windows xp or windows 98 (if there's an option for win98, can't remember) altough I don't believe that'll work.

It can also be a problem with the game, since you can't expect game programmers to support future hardware, but more likely you will expect
hardware engineers (sound card & graphics card) to use backward support for older technologies.
Since we've went through at least 2 operation systems from diablo 2 (vista, win 7) we can expect some incompatibilities issues :??:

Sorry, I don't think there's anything to do about it :(