Creators Update broke my keyboard...

May 24, 2018
I have an HP Pavilion laptop, and recently installed the Windows 10 Creators Update (not that I had a choice). After the install, when Windows booted up, I found that my keyboard and touchpad would not work. I have a wireless mouse that I use with it anyway, and that works, but I can't get an external keyboard to work (plus that's too bulky to be a permanent solution anyway).

I have verified that the keyboard itself works, as I'm still able to access the BIOS (plus I have a boot loader installed, and I can use my keyboard to select the OS). It's only in Windows that the keyboard stops working. In device manager, the keyboard and touchpad drivers show as corrupt, but I've tried updating and uninstalling/reinstalling them and that didn't work. I've also updated the BIOS just in case, and still nothing. I also went in to try and uninstall the Creators update, but it doesn't seem to show up in the updates list.

I'm just about to the point of doing a clean install of Windows, but I'd prefer to avoid that if possible, so I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has another suggestion. If you need additional information, feel free to ask.

Solution
Have you checked the HP web site of your PC and seen if there are any new drivers for the keyboard (I think they called ATK drivers)

What model number is it as I seem to recall there is more than 1 HP Pavillion model - I think that HP also has a site that shows which models have been tested with the Fall creators edition.

depending how long ago it was you updated, you may find an option to roll back to previous version in settings/update & security/recovery. It might be a choice in Reset this PC, I am not 100% sure. If you have upgraded in the last 10 days it should still be a choice.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Have you checked the HP web site of your PC and seen if there are any new drivers for the keyboard (I think they called ATK drivers)

What model number is it as I seem to recall there is more than 1 HP Pavillion model - I think that HP also has a site that shows which models have been tested with the Fall creators edition.

depending how long ago it was you updated, you may find an option to roll back to previous version in settings/update & security/recovery. It might be a choice in Reset this PC, I am not 100% sure. If you have upgraded in the last 10 days it should still be a choice.

Solution